Crankshaft bolt tightening - how do I do it?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Shammi, May 15, 2014.

1. Shammi

Shammi LawnSite Member

Folks:
    I have a Husqvarna iZ6123 61" Z-turn mower. I recently installed a new engine. The spec for the bolt that holds the PTO pulley calls for 50 ft-lbs of torque. Question: The crank starts to move before I reach that value. How do I safely hold the crank in position while I apply torque?

Related question: How do you apply torque on the blade bolts if the mower is raised? I have been using the back-breaking and unreliable method of using wood blocks to block to stop the blades with the mower on asphalt.

I would prefer not to buy a special mower lift, but use jack stands. What is the correct way to lift a mower deck about 2' off the ground so I can use an air tool to loosen the blade bolts?

Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. Shammi

Shammi LawnSite Member

How does one tell when the piston is up to TDC compression stroke without opening valve cover?

4. Restrorob

If it's a twin cylinder remove one spark plug, Rotate the engine by hand until you feel it getting harder to rotate. This is the beginning of compression stroke (piston is on the way up to TDC), Then remove the remaining plug and stick a small screwdriver into the plug hole.

Rotate slowly until the piston pushes the screwdriver up out of the hole, Once you hit TDC the screwdriver will start going back down. That's known as after TDC......

5. Shammi

Shammi LawnSite Member

So, then you turn the crank backwards so that you return the piston with screw driver to just before TDC and insert recoil rope in it?

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a chain to keep the blades from turning. Hook or wrap around the end of a blade and attach the other end to anything on the deck that is convinent.

7. Restrorob

^^^^^^^ That would be to loosen the bolt, Rotate past TDC and insert the rope to tighten the bolt.......

8. Shammi

Shammi LawnSite Member

But, once past the TDC wouldn't the piston want to withdraw down the cylinder?

9. Restrorob

Don't try to understand, Just do as I say...... ;)