Crankshaft Orentation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimQ, Aug 24, 2007.

1. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

OK. Help me understand this. It seems like most prefer a horizontal crankshaft engine. (myself included) But why? What make a horizontal crank engine better than a vertical crank in a Z?

It seems like with a vertical crankshaft engine, you would get a lower center of gravity and eliminate the mule drive to the deck.

So, why guys? Why is horizontal shaft the way to go?

Thanks,
    Q

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Vertical IS the way to go for those reasons in my opinion.

3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

It's not vertical is for the reasons you mentioned. Envy hit it.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

With vertical shaft, you don't lose as much horsepower between the engine and the blades.

Why most engine manufacturers build more horizontal than vertical is beyond me.:confused:

5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I agree that vertical shaft would eliminate the mule belt and all. But, I'm just guessing that it is easier and cheaper to manufacture a horizontal engine with the higher horse power, and still get the lubrication to flow properly so that the engine last longer. The oil can be pumped to the top of the engine and then flow over all of the parts on it's way to the bottom.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If that was the way the lubrication system worked that would be a good idea. Unfortunately it's not so that idea is out the window.

Whether the engineers pick vert or hor is simply personal taste. Do we want to drive the hydro system off of the front of the engine and the mule drive off of the back ala Exmark style? Or do we want to drive everything off of the bottom of the engine ala Dixie Chopper style? Sometimes space requirements dictate an engine's orientation.

Ask yourself this....

Why does Ferris turn some of their walkbehind engines 90 degrees compared to every other manufacturer?

7. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

It shortens things. Same with some Z's.
    Q

8. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

cylinder walls and pistons wear more on one side on a vertical engine compared to a horizontal.

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

So thats why porsche subaru and other boxer engines wear out so fast.Don't forget those BMW cycles.OH yeah and Honda goldwings.

10. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

And how about the Hustler Trimstar. Problem is, if they leave the crankshaft centered on the mower, it throws the side to side mower balance off. They should move the engine over and center the weight on the mower.