1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cranky phone call

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Sep 29, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Just had a guy call about a repair. He hit the poly pipe when planting a tree. Said it was an "emergency". I'm sorry but that is not an emergency. He then says he'll have it dug up, and ready to be repaired. He knows how but has no time. Then says he realizes there is a $45 min but it will take 5 minutes. I then tell him it's normally a $56 minimum but I can reduce it if it actually takes 5 minutes. Well how much? I say No less than $40. He says forget it.

The guy lives 3-4 blocks from me but I still won't go there and not make what I want. What the hell does he expect? That I'll do it for $5? Gimme a break!
  2. Oh man! those guys are my favorite.

I love it when they expect it to be cheap because they 'THINK' it will be fast. If it only took 5 minutes why wouldn't he just friggin do it. I used to get in nice long discussions about the cost of me coming out..blah blah blah...now I just say "good luck sir" and let it go at that.

I probably get 1 call per day like that.

In fact, a guy called today to see if I knew of a glue that would seal a crack in the top of his "rain jet" valve. When I said it probably couldn't be done...he got angry at me. He said my prices were ridiculous.

Gotta love the general public huh?
  3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, while your at it, I gotta tell my absolute favorite, never to forget. A guy from church said he has a leak at the vacuum breaker, and it was leaking into his basement. "I would like you to replace the black pipe (PVC dummy!) that connects to the 1" copper pipe. I would also like you to replace all 5 impact heads in zone 4 with the gear drive heads i just purchaced. I would like allthis done tomorrow, and I would like it done for $40." I COULDNT BELIEVE IT!!!!!! THIS FREAK WAS DEAD SERIOUS TOO!!!!!!!!! He makes like $300,000+ a year in marketing too. I couldnt believe it, I called him up and got his wife (who is MUCH more reasonable) and asked if she knew anything about it, and she told me that he had called 7 other companies and they all said 400+ becasue they dont install what homeowners buy, and he would have to return the heads he bought, and they would install their own heads (so they were covered under the warranty). 40 bucks? this guy was and IS nuts!!!!!!
  4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

hey, how do you think he got that job??? $300,000/year...he is making or saving someone money...

anyway, i get those calls every week. i used to service them, but then it became a hassle...now it is a service call to come out and correct the problem plus parts and labor.

thats it. i do not like turning away work, but if you use items the homeowner installed, then it turns into a nightmare when something goes wrong.

trust me, i have learned from experience.

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

oh I believe it too, Ive seen my share of breakers with poly pvc lines for input and output! man, they just topple over (smart homeowners). By the way, he gets that 300 grand from marketing for law firms. and take my word, if you saw some of the stuff hes got, you sure would change your mind about him "saving" moneies.:mad: