Crape Murder and Knucke Heading

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ArkansasLawns, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

Committed Crape Murder on Friday.

Man I just didn't want to do it. Two of them at least 15 ft tall. Owner wanted them cut to 5 ft. Tried to get him to not do it. Even tried to get his wife to ask him for leniency. He told me if I didn't do it he would get someone else to do the deed. Got him agree to only cut to above my head. Over six foot. I sort of embellished and cut the out side trunks at 6 1/2 with the centers about 7 1/2 to eight. Doubt if he says anything. Some of these trunks were 18 to 20 inch in circumference. Made me feel kind of sick to do it but at least I knew if I did it it would be done with care.

I just hate it when customers want this knuckle heading done.
  2. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Too close to the house? What was he trying to accomplish. Muderer!!!!!!!!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

My prayers and thought's will be with you.
  4. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

These were 25 feet from the house. Free standing in the yard. He bought this house two years ago. Last year he didn't say a thing about them.

I love them as trees. The bark is so interesting.
  5. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Some people think they are shrubs, and bloom off New growth so they like butchering them. They also dont like the way the old blooms look

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain, man. The world is not a perfect place. Have you had to shear a weeping jap maple into an umbrella shape yet? I've also seen 25' Norway maples pruned into a cube!;)
  7. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

We call that Crape Myrtle murder around here.
  8. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Call me insane, but how about flat out refusing to prune this way? Is there anything in your contract with this fool that says that you have to act in a way that violates your principles as an experienced landscape professional just because he says to? are the expert in this situation!!! I know some of you will say that the customer is always right, but I think that does not apply in certain situations. Stick with your principles. You may lose this battle (by making this guy mad enough to fire you), but you'll most likely win the war in the long run!!!
    That being said, I've crumbled before, myself. I felt horrible afterwards. And obviously you do too. I just found this site and it's nice to see that there are others out there in this business that truly care. Keep it up!
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea I am afraid I would have refused to do can come back on you like"oh...wHO DID THAT TO YOUR TREE'S?"oH SO AND SO".....and the person is saying to themselves man I sure will never hire that butcher!