Crape Myrtle Saplings Help Needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JandKServices, Sep 24, 2004.

1. JandKServices

JandKServices LawnSite Member

I take care of properties with the tall variety of Crape myrtles. The base is supposed to be just trunks (4 to 5 feet) and the tops (3 to 4 feet). The Crape myrtles keep sending up saplings from the bottom. Is there a secret that someone can share with me or do I just keep on cutting them off at the ground level. I don't mind the cutting but sometimes the Crape myrtles just say "I'll show you I'll send up the one you cut off plus one more!"
  2. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

There is no secret you just gotta keep cutting them off. Mulch might help some but it wont stop em
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like they want the apperance of a Natchez from some other cultivar. The Natchez grows 20 feet tall or more and develops a large trunk over time with a cinnamon color. It is not prone to producing shoots from the crown.

Some cultivars with smaller trunks will continously produce shoots near the bottom. They do not have the tree appearance by nature, you have to prune routinely to maintain the look.
  4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Tip:Use a machete to cut the new growth off.It's alot faster than pruning shears and does no damage to the plant.Just slice along side the trunk towards the ground.
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That is very common for the tall Crepe Myrtles. I just lop off the new stems with lopping shears or pruners. It's regular maintenance for that type.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just weedeat them off. Run the trimmer real slow so you don't do a lot of damage to trunk. If done weekly I haven't seen any problem long term to the plant.