CrapeMyrtle

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Landscape Poet, Jan 19, 2011.

1. GunnPropertyServices

GunnPropertyServices LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info

2. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

How I trim them varies from one property/location to another. I just focus on not trimming more than 1/3 of the plant. I really don't think that there is a right/wrong way to trim or not to trim Crepe's, I think it boils down to personal preference. Basically like other plants, it's the customers choice.

3. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

4. sweetz

I don't top them to a ridiculous level, I either pollard cut them or just cut them back a little to cut the seed heads and stuff off. Like I said, it depends on the location. with the 1/2 - 1/6 acre lots that are so common in this area there is not room to let the big crepe's grow to a natural size. A while ago when I still worked for the school board, they had some crepe's planted along the street/entrance way and you had to top/pollard cut them for access & visibility reasons. Like I say, like with most other plants, it depends on the location.

5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Here is a photo Rob7233 next to a murdered crape we spotted while we were out last week.

[​IMG]

6. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Christ, I've had better pictures of me taken before.... Thanks, Michael

Now the big question:
    Does anyone know how and when this custom of pruning Crepe Mrytles real hard all began?

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I am not positive but I am taking a guess it was about the time when first commercial landscape crew was invented.

By the way your welcome for the photo.*trucewhiteflag*

8. sweetz

Nope, fill us in.

9. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

One might even guess that it started in the Garden of Eden, when Eve saw the snake in the tree and all that trouble started. Well, that tree was said to be a Crepe Mrytle and it's been cut short ever since so no more snakes can hide .... :dancing:

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, Eden was perfect until Eve had to eat that damn apple. I throw that at the wife every now and then.
    Posted via Mobile Device