Crappy accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnut101, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Have you guys ever mowed accounts where you can't wait for the year to be done so you don't have to mow them anymore? I screwed up bidding on a few jobs this year (I was higher than the old company though) and I can't wait till the contract is done on them! :hammerhead: :rolleyes: Next year though, I will know what I need to bid, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

So far this is my first year doing condos, and it sucks. All they do is whine. The big ones are especially bad. I like resis and commercial jobs. I can put up with those. Just trying to feel a little bit better from my mistakes, by hearing if you guys have been in similar situations.

Today especially sucked, we were mowing and a lady came up to me and said, "Excuse me, but you just shattered my storm doors window." Sure enough, we did. One of those days today. I like landscaping so much better!

2. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

This past Friday I was mowing one of my regular accounts and when I finished I rang the door bell the lady opens the door to the house and the bottom pain of glass on the outer storm door explodes all over the house and her and me. I felt bad but I tell all of my clients up front I am not responsible for damage caused by my mower throwing something in there yard I cannot see as well as they are not responsible for me hitting something with my mower that damages my mower. I had no idea something had hit the glass door but it happened for the first time in over 20 years.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

A good argument for mulching. I have been very fortunate that nothing escaped from the deck after getting sucked up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I have to disagree here, if this was the case then why am I carrying insurance? Your absolutly responsible for something thrown by your mower while mowing your customers yard! I've hit roots with my mower and bent blades, well of course I'm not going to go to the customer and tell them they are responsible for the damage LOL that's just crazy.

5. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

I ask all my customers to make sure their yard is thoroughly picked up before each and every mow. I take extra time to walk/ride the property prior to mow I explain if they carelessly leave something in the yard I cannot see and I hit it I am not responsible for the damages to property this is disclosed up front before I even take the account I do have insurance but I’m not using it because of someone's negligence period. The property belongs to the customer and it’s their responsibility to know what is in it.

6. cpllawncare

I understand your point, but I would bet that if a homeowner took you to court over damage you caused (their negligence or not) while on their property they would win. Problem is, at least for me, I don't have set dates except for a few that I mow lawns, just a set time frame IE: every other week or every week ETC ETC. So they have no idea when to pick up the yard. Like you, I do a good walk over before I start, but things happen and you can't put it on the customer.

7. Lawnut101

I'm just mostly pissed cause I underbid my first big job. Oh well. Live and learn.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody underbids a job at some point. Normal part of the business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cpllawncare

Yep, I've got'em too, I've tried to gently raise the idea of a price increase but they threatened to go elsewhere, they will be the first to go as soon as I have a full load.

10. Lawnut101

Well, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. Thanks guys. From a fellow lawn care brother. Like I've said before, it's not the end of the world. Just a lot of experience.