crappy winter = algea in pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Grn Mtn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

This winter has been pretty lame to say the least, well short of this past week, the pond hasn't frozen or been covered over by snow, as a result you can see the pond has a lot of green growing in it. I did put some bacteria in it 3 weeks ago when we had some 40-50* temps but that was only for about a week so not sure if the water temp ever came up enough for the bacteria to help.

anyway, just thought i would share and see if anyone else is having the same problem.

lawnsite.jpg

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have catfish in my pond to keep it clean but i had some sting algae at x-mass in the falls

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

btw, that's an ice volcano in the middle. i run the pump all winter to help keep the water from getting nasty and in the cold weather it sometimes forms the volcano shape - my kids get a kick out of it.

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

i have noticed some of my ponds are greening up too. I think all the good bacteria is dormant and the green is showing up more???
    I wouldn't worry to much about it,.,,

nice volcano....

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick fix for string algae: Green Clean. It's a powder-based formula that you sprinkle on string alage in the pond or waterfall that creates millions of tiny air bubbles that make the string alage almost instantly release itself from the surface of rocks, liner, or any other surface.

For dealing with green water, or minor alage buildup, use AlgaeFix. It releases algae and clumps it together. Works EXCELLENT!

6. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

any of the items you are talking about for algae clean up in a pond in the winter will they hurt the fish in the pond ? thanks

7. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

Both are safe for plants and fish.

TR