1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

crapsman tractors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wiselawns, Aug 13, 2004.

1. wiselawns

wiselawns LawnSite Member

I know I am going to get it for this.

I just took the plunge into full time lawn care a few weeks ago. Business has picked up at a steady rate this year. Minimal advertising, mostly word of mouth. And yes I mow with a "crapsman". 42" with 25hp. I've had it for a about a year and a half. It's all I can afford now, family, two small children. I know you guys bash these things, but it cuts pretty good. It's paid for. I have literally cut hundreds of yards with it, and all I have had to do to it is regular maintenence.

My business is growing, and this thing is not made for this type of use. I will eventually upgrade to a commercial mower. I fact I am dying to buy one now. But, I am going to wait until I have to have one(probably next year). I have gotten nothing but compliments on my work.

I just wanted to share this. Let the bashing begin.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

no bashing here, that is how I started with a Snapper and Craftsman. You have to start somewhere
  3. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Started with craftsman also.
  4. wiselawns

wiselawns LawnSite Member

I wonder how many closet crapsman are out there.
  5. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I decided to "go Scrub" a while back. Sold my trailer and my SCAG 32" and all my "professional" equipment. Bought a Craftsman 21" self-propelled, and Craftsman handheld blower, Echo Trimmer. The blower works fantastic - I've used them for a few years. The 6.75 B&S push mower actually gives one of the nicest cuts I've seen, BETTER than the SCAG (that's what matters, right?). I still make about $50 or more per hour and don't take much longer than I did before. I stand behind my Craftsman - don't care what anyone thinks!
  6. KCON1

KCON1 LawnSite Member

no bashing started with a crapsman as well good mower for the money
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

It ain't the size ( or quality ) of the unit, it's how you work it....

I'd work the sears machine until something grenades on it, pull the engine off if it's still good when the rest is done, and buy a commercial mower when you have income that buys it for you...

And, you'll have a nice 25 hp motor to swap onto something on down the road....

Either way, if it's making you $$$$ use it!
  8. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Although not used often, I still use my Craftsman 22" mower that was my home mower before going into business. 3rd year in, (5years old overall) and it still runs great.
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Do they Really Make a 25hp/42" ?!?!?!
  10. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a murray push mower out of the back of the car.No bashing here.But wait until you get a commercial mower,you will wonder how you did without one.