Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, May 24, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

ever since my mowers and stuff got stold.i have had to use barrowed
    craftsman junk i use a 21"mower to get in gates that my 61"dane cant get i had a 36"snapper wb to do this.the wheels are going to fall off
    of this junk any day and the weed eater gives me blisters from it needing to be restarted every 3ft of cutting .i am going to get my insurance money soon .i cant wait till then .i take four times as long
    doing jobs with this junk.
  2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember when all I had was my craftsman. Makes a guy appreciate the finer mowers in life.

I cannot even imagine how folks got along without electricity. We all take things for granted everyday.

You can have fun buying new stuff when the check comes.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I hate Craftsman. The new machines don't hold up and they are SO SLOW. When my Groundmaster broke down, I had to use a 1 year old Craftsman with a 20 HP Kohler Command and a 42" deck. The mower has the horsepower to cut nicely, but it was $h!t. It was a mulcher and I still had to pull one of those lawn sweepers behind it to pick up some of the grass, yes, just SOME of it. I was going SO slow and it still wouldn't cut or pick it up at all. Good thing my dad got that belt on the Toro replaced fast. After about 5 mins of mowing with the Toro before it broke down, then going to a "turtle" machine was like comparing night and day. It was very sluggish as well. Couldn't turn at all, you had to swing wide, then come back down on the next pass to stripe. It actually striped pretty good, only cuz the sweeper was on there but I wouldn't have that mower just for the stripes. ;) Conclusion, I wouldn't buy anything Craftsman for this biz. Only if you were doing a few lawns a week, then it might be alright. I just don't like how they mow at all and the speed is just terrible. No wonder it took the guy 7 hours to mow 2 acres! My .02
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, think about this......

#1 Craftsman is a good homeowners mower, there are a few better ones FOR HOMEOWNERS but most others are below it in quality. I had one for my yard (couldn't get into most of it with my mowers because of gates) and it worked great. Broke down once, and it was my fault for ramming it under some hedges and I broke the oil fill tube. Sears replaced it parts and labor for free within 1 week!! I always had good experiences with their mowers for RESIDENTIAL USE.

#2 Don't use a residential use mower for commercial mowing and then complain about it. Do you use an electric black and decker weed eater too??

You can't talk bad about of product after you have abused and missused it.

Sorry, Just my Opinion!
  5. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

I'm going to have to agree with GUIDO on this one.I currently only mow 6 lawns,all residential,all "average" size,all very good money for the amount of work/time I put into it.I use a craftsman mower right now.Of course,when I get older and my business grows I'm going to have to buy better equipment,but right now,craftsman will definitely suffice.In fact,I'm seriously thinking about getting a 48" kawasaki walk behind,and might by it here in the next few weeks...even though I don't plan to REALLY start my business until next year.However,regardless of whether or not I get that walk behind,I'm keeping my craftsman-not going to sell it.First of all,I don't care what lawn I'm mowing or what mowers I have to do it with.I will always mow the perimeter of the yard with a push mower,end of story.That's how I prefer it,rather than getting a huge peice of equipment right up next to a building or house or street.Secondly,it's always good for those hard to reach places,the ones that may be too small to get with a huge walk behind,but too large to pick up with a weed-eater.Thirdly,it's not a bad idea to have back up equipment,even if it's a small self propelled craftsman lawn mower(at least,while I'm still doing residential lawns that will be an okay back up).That's MY 2 cents:D
  6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

i cant beleive you will mow the perimetier with a pushmower just seems like a waste of time and when you do get a comemrcial i would like to see how long you mow the perimeter with the craftsman if u could i would like to see some pics of the perimeter mowed with a craftsman and the rest mowed with a 48" deck LOL it might look tacky but intill i see what it looks like ill resepect your opninion just seems like awaste of time
  7. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I used a Craftsman 38" rider when I first started. It was a machine I had for eight years prior to starting the business. I later bought a Craftsman 20 HP Garden Tractor. I now have a Toro ZTR. I use the Craftsman to tow my aerator and various sleeve hitch impliments. I would not use it to mow with unless my Toro died.

If you think about how much we mow in a year you would understand why a residental model would not hold up.

If you mow 40 yards a week and average mowing them 35 (varies by region)times a year. The average homeowner may only mow 30 times a year. Looking at it this way you put a years worth of mowing on your machine each week. A residential mower that last 20 years would have its lifetime of use in 20 weeks. That is why the residential mowers won't last.

Commercial mowers are the way to go for this biz.
  8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I think one thing we would almost all agree on is "Ya get what Ya pay for". For the money and for Harry Homeowner it's probably not bad, For the rest of us it's just not worth the frustration their equipment can cause.
  9. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

i also started with a craftsman went through two trannys luckily i was able to convince them i was not commercial otheerwise i would have been out $1400 on a $1300 mower
  10. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

I hate craftman lawn mowers mine literaly blew up when i was cutting one of my neighbors lawns.:blob2: