Crash course on trailers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys...I am thinking about going the truck and trailer route. I have been using a Chevy cargo van up until now. I have no real experience w/ trailers and have no idea wahat to get. I have heard many terms here on lawnsite about trailers, but I don't know exactly what they mean. What are all the things to look for in a trailer? How much do I spend for this or that one. I am a one man show for now and will probably stay that way for a little while, but will eventually hire help. Basically I need a crash course on trailers. What are all the possible widths and lengths? For now I will go with an open trailer, not enclosed. Does it become very difficult to maneuver after a certain size and what are the best trucks to tow with? Anything else I can think of later I will post later.

Thanx

2. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Are you planning on getting a Z mower? I would suggest 6'x 16' with a mesh gate. I would not go smaller than 16' long. I pull my trailer with a 1999 F-350. By the way i love that truck!!! You should be able to get that trailer for less than $2000.00.

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

depends do you have a place you can store it or park it . i have a garage i put mine in so i can leave all my equipment on it.
    even though ya only have one walk behind i would get a 16 footer if ya have the space to put it

4. Vibe Ray

My primary equipment is listed in my signature as well as many other odds and ends things I have will go in it.
    I want to add a question, too. What are all the possible options a trailer can have? Such as you mention a "mesh gate"....are there many different types of gates and what do u have to say about them? I have heard things such as tounge heavy, max weight capacity, and angle iron and channel iron and should I go w/ dual axles or dual wheels or whatever and what about side ramps or brakes and tail lights....I have heard all of these things before and most of them I don't know anything about and would like to learn about them. What kind of specs should it have? Any brand names better? Where is a good place to get them?Or.....

An offbeat truly unimportant thing just 4 fun....which color if were possible to choose?

Thanx again

5. Vibe Ray

Harry I have a garage that is 21' 6" deep so I have the space, yes.

And by the way my Exmark Lazer HP is a rider.....in case ya didn't know

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Ray keep in mind that a 16' trailer is really going be to about 20' or longer. The floor space is 16', but the tongue can add 4' to 6'.

My little 5' x 10' trailer just fits into my 10'x20' garage. The wheel wells take it to 7' wide and my garage door is a standard 8' door, so I only have about 6" left over on each side when backing in.

The overall length is about 15' or 16'. I only have a few feet behind my trailer where I have a shelf unit against the back wall of the garage to store stuff on.

I don't think I could even get a 6' wide trailer through the door and I couldn't go any longer then a 12' long one.

If I were you I'd go around to local trailer dealers and look at them in person and ask them questions.

My 5'x10' was around $700. I wish I could get a larger one. Someday I'm going with an enclosed one.

7. Vibe Ray

Ok....great! I didn't know that...I thought that those were the dimensions of the total overall width and length.

8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 14" by 6'4" wide single axel with out brakes, I pull it with a '97 k3500 chevy 4x4 with duels. With out any problem at all , I could pull a much bigger trailer if I needed too.

All that being said I carry a 48" JD w/b a 61" Great dane Z a 21" trim mower and a gas edger along with a few misc things on it. I have put a large plastic truck box on the toung fro blades weedeater line and "stuff". It has a 4' drop gate on the back and is all I need. I will one day get a 16' er but my old 1/2 ton did a great job with the trailer it went throught the brakes though.

Jim

9. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

When buyimg a trailer don"t do what I did, buy one for what you need at the moment. You will neede bigger and better later on so go ahead and spend the extra $ now. That being said the things I look for in a trailer are at least 2' high expanded metal sides ( great for hauling mulch), greaseable hubs ( so you won't have to repack them), a fold down tounge jack, at least a 4' rear fold donw gate, a side gate, dual axle with brakes and like was said before, at least 16'.
    Buy the way I'm in the market for a trailer for myself, my third in 3 years because I didn't follow my own advise.

10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6' 6" by 14' square tube tandem axle trailer with 2' foot enclosed sides with custom weedater racks and blower racks on both sides, it also has a big metal box on the front that you can put stuff inside and lock it. I pull this with a 2000 f-150 4x4 with the 5.4 engine and it pulls it just fine.