Crash Course

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SWEET LEAF, Mar 20, 2007.

1. SWEET LEAF

SWEET LEAF LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

o.k. i need a lot of information and fast. i know with enough time spent reading here i could gather it.... don't have the time .
    my options
    1) sites that offer " make $$$ money in lawncare blah blah" they all seem to be based on business, marketing etc... i got all of that covered, i need detailed information on the actual nuts and bolts of doing this... proper ways to prune, techniques of mowing grass etc.
    anybody buy into these sites? were they any good?

2) professional associations.

http://www.landcarenetwork.org/cms/home.html

http://www.nclandscape.org/

they really don't go into detail on what your going to learn if you join? phishh i guess a phone call might answer some questions ... but i would like to hear from those who belong to these organizations. how much will it help me to join?

thanks

2. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Ok, I'll be the stooge...

Look up at the top of the forum, click on the Search This Forum link.

Enter the subject you are looking for.

Click on Go.

There is a lot of information and if you have DSL, it's really fast.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I guess my first question to you is, why don't you have time??
    You expect to start a business, but want to gather all the info in the least amount of time and with very little effort??
    I am NOT trying to be an idiot here, I'm serious.
    The only real way to learn the business is thru trial and error. HANDS ON experience is the only real way you are going to learn the ins and outs of this business.
    It takes MISTAKES to learn how to bid properly. It takes PRACTICE running a big mower.
    It takes TIME to gain the self confidence to sell to customers.

If you want to be successful, you can't say you don't have time.

4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Ha haha:laugh:

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

You will learn by trial and error,were all human. No such thing as a crash course .You will need to know how to run your equipment properly and that does take time,some do learn faster. But you'll still need to take the time. Personally i would'nt spend my money on any profesional sites. just my .02 cents.

6. SWEET LEAF

from N.C.

good advive. do you belong to any of these associations?

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Then you just need an experienced foreman, crew and equipment. You don't need us... you need a headhunter.

8. SWEET LEAF

from N.C.

yea your right. the only problem is i have only secured one contract so far. so until i have enough work for foreman ,crew etc. i will be doing it myself. iknow that the bulk of my experience will come from the school of hard knoks..all i'm asking is where can i find some definitive answers....

like i said the answers are on this and other boards, it just takes too much time to decipher the BS and the info you need. take this thread for example lotsa responses but not one person posting about they're experience's with any association's?

9. SWEET LEAF

from N.C.

Thanks TNT.
    like i said they dont really seam to be what i need . have you tried them?
    if what i'm looking for does not exist... it will in about 2-3 years, that is the time it will take for me to learn enough techniques to master this trade.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

How much time is "too much time?"

Your posts are confusing. In one case, you say that you have several areas "covered." I am not sure what you mean by this statement. Included in that list is marketing. However, another post tells us you have only one account. Do you understand the dichotomy here?

Your vision of entrepreneurship is contrary to what most of us understand. You apparently discount experience as a teacher of ideas. Rather, you are attempting to short-cut the path that most successful business ventures follow. Maybe I am reading your posts wrong. If so, please share your differing ideas.

Microwave ovens have had a much larger impact on our culture than merely cooking food faster than convection ovens.