Crayfish

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by TRBIGCREEK, May 7, 2008.

1. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

Anyone ever seen crayfish in man made stream?

TR

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

No! but I plan on introducing them when my backyard pond is done. Playing in the creeks and catching crawdads is what got me into this business.

3. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about man made. But I have a natural creek that has them and they go under ground where ever there is water. Got holes all around my yard you learn to just live with them. I would not put them in my pond they will dig holes everywhere.

4. TRBIGCREEK

That's my concern. I know they dig little caves to winter over in and wouldn't want my stream liner ruined. Does anyone know of crayfish in a liner stream?

TR

5. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I know, I have never heard of a crawfish comming up thru a liner. However, once they do get into the stream or pond (they can also walk over land) they will eat the roots of your plants.

6. TRBIGCREEK

Will they burrow through the liner once in the stream?

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't even consider this aspect. I was just going to build a lot of shelves for them to hide under, but I might just leave them to the natural streams.

8. MarkoB

MarkoB LawnSite Member
    from TC, MN

I think I'd put up a "stay away" fence:)

If they get to happy they make many little buddies, many buddies mean you'll never have enough in the way of caves, and they love to munch. Don't know as a fact but I bet they raise havoc with a liner in time.

I have a natural creek out back - never had so many around as the last 3 years. Weather and cycle I guess. Got more craws than skeeters - and that's mighty hard to do around here.