Crazy Cemetary for Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Mar 24, 2012.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Just looked at a cemetary I was asked to bid on. Wow, not sure where to go with this one. The larger half is old.... ooooold! There is no organization at all to any of it, completely random. Half of the stones are fallen down. The ones from the 1850's look modern. Most of them, you can no longer read. The stones that are older than the 1930's have big sink holes in front of them because the people and coffins are long gone. It looks like washboard sections scatterd over about 2.5 acres. There are a couple of fences around familys made of steel pipe and cement posts that are half standing at best. Its strange because you often see the small stones, 2" wide, that are broken, fallen down, etc. But there are the huge 6-7 ft tall ones flopped over. Most of it is so random and full that Id be better off just trimming large portions than even using a walk behind. I can be fairly sure they wont be very picky based on present condition. Grass looks like the bi-weekly mowing type. But Im pretty hopeless on man hours estimate with this one.

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

no decrepit cemetary mowers on lawnsite? Even if its just unorganized and crowded, it would be good to hear about for a time refference

3. aaron79mowing

aaron79mowing LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Sounds like a job you would dread doing. I would bid it high so it's well worth the trouble.

4. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

I know you should bid high if you want it but only if you truly want to do this job. You said there were sink holes. What are you going to do if you step in a hidden one and break your leg? How would you take care of your accounts? I know it could happen anywhere but sometimes humans put themselves in situations where they are just asking for trouble. I personally would respectfully decline to bid.

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Not sinkholes like open holes in the ground. I mean all the plots from before concrete vault days have a 1 foot dip in front of them, roughly in the shape of a rectangular box...

6. hi_speedreed

Sorry, misunderstood what you were talking about. Is the total area 2.5 acres or is that just the old part?

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thats the total, maybe a bit less. Its not huge. The old part is like 70% though

8. SwatDawg15

SwatDawg15 LawnSite Member

I try not to turn down business, but you really need to think this threw and see if you can make money, and enough money to motivate to do it. Sounds like a crappy job for sure.

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Its all work to me I just cant figure on how much work it is.

10. hi_speedreed

I don't know what you charge but I would think somewhere in the 6.5-7 man hours depending on how many stones there are once you get it under control. Its really hard to tell without actually seeing it. And when you get your number I would make it 3 times that for the first cut.