Crazy Customer Requests

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Imulchmore, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Imulchmore

Imulchmore LawnSite Member

I had a lady come in here this morning with a Ford Explorer Sport( one of those little ones with the 3.5 foot bed) and want me to put 1 ton of river stone in there. When I refused to do it she was P.O.ed at me and started yelling and then called he husband and he proceeded to tell me that I can do it and I told him there was a huckster down the road that may do it but not at this yard. I offered to deliver it for him and he told me he did not want to pay a delivery charge because I was going to kill him on it. I then offered to bring it for 10 bucks just to cover gas( about 5 mile away) and he told me no way. I dont know I guess you cant make some people happy.

But if I loaded her truck and she could not steer and plowed into someone I would be the first person they would come after!

2. So was you supposed to shovel it in through the back window, that would have been fun.

3. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

I'd have done it in a heartbeat. Would be fun to watch her scraping all the way down the road. Afterall, you warned her. Nothing she could do.

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

yep thats true.once you warn them then they cant come after you.i had the same thing happen to me when i sold limerock.i told her i wouldnt load it because the truck could not handle it and she took off tearing up my drive way.well her old man sh** when i come around with the old case loader and almost ran into them.Lets just say they have never been back.if it wont haul it then i wont load it.

5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

ANYONE CAN SUE YOU FOR ANYTHING. They may not win, but you have to pay legal fees to protect yourself from the lawsuit.

6. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

People think just because they have a "truck" they can haul mountains. I used to work at one of the Big Box Stores in the Garden shop. We would get people with 1/2 ton trucks wanting a full pallet of retaining wall block-about 3700 lbs. We made them sign a waiver. Once had a guy with a borrowed f150 want a full pallet, we put it on slowly and his trailer hitch proceeded to sink into the pavement. He says 'guess that's kinda heavy' ;)

7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe the guy would not pay the $10.00. What a jerk. You did the correct thing.

8. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

Like bmh said, just because people have a truck, they think they can haul anything. Trailers- same thing. I used to work for another guy, and we had a guy come in for granite. I told him i wouldnt load it, it would break his trailer... he argued, the owner said he wants in on, give it to him. When I left work that day, about 1/2 mile up the road, there sits a trailer, and dont ya know, that stone looked familer. broke the axle....too bad. That guy never did come back, too embarrased i guess...

9. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

This is great. I was at one of the local quarries the other week and saw the funniest thing, well actually the stupidest thing. A guy was getting a skid of creekstone to take back to his house which he stated was a 'mile down the road'. Well, the problem was that the skid weighed between 3200 and 3500 lbs. and the other prob was that this guy had a Dodge Dakota. While the forklift was pulling out the skid, the guy asked me what I thought of him putting this stone on his truck. Well, I just lost it, did everything short of falling on the ground and rolling around laughing so hard. Well, I regained my composure, and.....started laughing again, all the while telling this guy that he was an idiot and that his truck wouldn't make it past the railroad tracks at the quarry much less down the road. By this time, the skid was ready to be loaded, and the operater sat the skid on the back of the truck, very slowly........slowly........slowly, and the bumper was about 3 inches off of the ground before the guy looked at me and then told the forklift operater to stop. The truck damn near did a wheelie with the skid on the back and it wasn't even the full weight. Realisticly, if the truck could have had the skid on the back, the guy would have wrecked cause there was NO weight on the front tires. He would've went to stop, and slid into whatever. Somehow people's stupidity never ceases to amaze me............

Chris

10. Imulchmore

Imulchmore LawnSite Member

It Happened again Today.... It must be in the air. I was at the Home Depot and saw a Ford Fusion with....No lie there had to be at least 20 sheets of drywall on it. The tires were almost flat....But there is sweet justice because when I left H.D. they were pulled over about a mile up the road and there were peices of drywall everywhere. Oh yea th Po-Po were there too!!!!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: