Crazy Customer Today

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DoetschOutdoor, Jun 20, 2006.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

So me and my buddy go to a typical neighborhood that always has that one homeowner who refuses to maintain their yard and then expects it to look nice in one hour. We were talking with her and when we got around to pricing we told her that we would do the job by the hour. She replies, " So you charge minimum wage right?"!!! I was helping my buddy out and it was through his company but I probably would have simply walked away if it had been my choice. How STUPID do you have to be to think that 2 guys are going to get your overgrown yard back in to shape for a lousy 6$/hour? Backyard had to be cut 4 times and the weeds around the fence/wannabe landscaping/bbq grill in the yard/falling apart shed/etc were almost waist high...can anyone top this as to having a customer try and lowball?

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

So you are the one that she said would do it for $6 an hour i got a lousy $5-:laugh:

If i ever express my desire to go to St LOUIS can some body please shoot me :laugh:

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

So just how stupid is this buddy of yours? :hammerhead:

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

So YOU actually did this for 6/hr??? WTF???

5. DoetschOutdoor

from S. IL

Ummmmm, no we did not do the work for minimum wage. I was returning a favor since my buddy saved my ass last week on a really big job so I didnt really care what he got paid. But he ended up charging $30/hour and had 8 hours into the job so far. And whats wrong with STL Sandgropher? Im from just outside of Stl so we dont get the premium rates of the rich towns in the city but I still dont ever make less than $40/hour..

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

This is why I do not allow the crews to work by the hour - unless it is for an existing, long term customer who has demonstrated a payment ability.
    All other work is estimated in writting and payment is due upon completion

7. DoetschOutdoor

from S. IL

Payment was agreed upon before ANY work was started and she paid in full today, with no questions asked.

8. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Whew! Your first post made it sound like your bud jumped all over that $6 an hour nonsense...

Well I feel better.

:waving:

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking that but also $30 for 2 men per hr is way low!!! JMO

10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I admit this post is confusing and I was way off on the six bucks...so I am assuming (thats right I may end up being an azz) that this is $30 per man hour...

:dancing: