Crazy Customers Blog

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, May 2, 2008.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a good one.
    This is a expensive house on the water in a ritzy part of the cape.
    I turned the system on last Saturday and walked the entire system with an ELDERLY widow..She was mildly nasty with me as we discussed every sprinkler head on her 10 Z system.. The service call ended with her yelling @ me for not taking apart a 15 + year old toro 600..

"Can't you take it apart and fix it!!! I refuse to purchase a new sprinkler head"

Well somehow I got out of there...Fast foward a few days later

Today, we went back there to fix a busted head which she claims I missed during my 45 minute walk through with her..A 570 got run over by construction traffic....Totally not my fault..I cap it and figure sweet we can get the $&%%* out of here with a quickness...

Then she comes out..I think to myself oh BOY she is gona give it to me...
    My partner says,"Mrs. Gill would like to discuss a few things about her system with you"...Great, I can't wait..Long story short she goes points out an old toro 600 won't go down anymore..Typical, we see that stuff day in and day out...Replace it right...NOPE

She pulls the "take it apart and fix it routine" AGAIN!!! Then she tells me the 600 was sticking out of the ground over a foot and a half....By this point I am biting my lip...The lady is completely fruity...

1.600's don't pop out of the ground 18 inches
    2.She told my partner she had never seen me before even though I turned her system on 5 days ago.

we changed the head....and hightailed it out of there for dear life....
    [​IMG]

End Blog

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Cookoo!!!!

3. Had a customer yesterday I fired. She tried to claim a warranty issue on work from last year. Checked out the system found a broken head which I repaired reset timer and did a minor job for husband. Billed which he paid. She then calls and complains that she didn't want to pay for a service call just wanted me to check my work to make sure it wasn't the problem. Said she could have gotten her yard guy to fix the head for free.. I said "Your husband was right there! why didn't he stop me?" She said " I want my husband left out of this. He isn't doing well." (BS He was perfectly competent and had no problem asking a favor of me. MEN LIKE HIM ARE WUSSES.) I got nasty with her on the phone and told her to find a new irrigation company and that she would be removed from my customer list.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I like it!!!

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Not irrigation related but worthy of a post. Client of mine I designed and installed project 7-8 years ago has us cut down all her pine trees. Says she has never liked them they have a "sharp energy" she tells me. So we cut them down and of course she wants something in their place. After discussing her choices I get her some trees (Dalbergia Sisso's) bring them to the job and place them where I think they should go. She spends 45 min with 3 of my guys shuffling 3-24" box trees around until they were just right. After planting she decides she needs two more to block the same "sharp energy" from her neighbors pines.

After designing a European garden for her I bring her to a look at statuary for the garden and she complains because most of the statues have some nudity :dizzy: She was in a different phase at that time.

I have been through a few phases with this one. Never question anything just give her what she wants at the time and agree profusely with whatever she says.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Oh man, this thread is going to have some of our highest post totals yet. Too bad I'm too exhausted to write about any of them now. CAPT, I woulda lost it on her, and left her to find her own way back in the house.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd talk about one today that drives me crazy, but I'm afraid she'll search my name and find this.

I will say that it amazes me sometimes how people are so unknowledgeable about how there systems function or what constitutes a problem...

Sometimes full explanations take more time than making the simple repair... and when I'm charging them for my time, it will always cost more when they want to watch and ask questions.

Especially the "why do you...?" kind of questions. At 4:00 on a Friday afternoon I am just not in the mood....

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I got a note with a check that was sent to us. The bill was for $75, tech was there 45 minutes. "I don't know why I was billed $15 for labor" So I sent him an email today saying it took 45 minutes. $60 for the first half hour, and additional $15 for next quarter hour. Explained he has a large system - I don't remember but maybe 16 zones. Has the old Hardie XL rotors that take time to adjust. his response was that it was windy and took longer to adjust because of it and it's always windy when we come out.

My response - I wish I could control the weather. I'd have a better career.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes you can't meet the customers head-on and maintain composure. Better to change course. Like the first lady who wants an out-of-production S600 repaired ~ even when the head first came out, the repair parts (they did exist in the parts breakout book) cost more than a new head, and I can't think of any customer who would want to pay more. But you never know, so I'd ask them, just in case they still wanted it repaired instead of replaced.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I had a customer call last week, said" the head you replaced last summer is leaking" NO problem , Ill swap it out for you.Then he says " Ill mark it with one of your flags, dont change the other flagged ones I will change them , you guys are too expensive" When I get ther there are 2 flagged with my flags. I swap em both out , put old ones in the truck. Look at date aat next stop 1 head was 99 , 1 was 00.