Crazy Day!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Apr 6, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Today after a long, hard days work we go back to the shop. We see a fire truck on the side of the road and some fire men walking back to it. We pulled into the drive way and the shop doors are open with no one around. So we went around back and see smoke and a hugh flame. Three guys are running with buckets of water trying to put out a huge bush and grass fire. It was crazy!!! The fire trucks could'nt get back there because it would get stuck. So finally with 8 firemen and 1 firewowen and 5 of us we got it out. It burned about 1 acre and spread over to the neighbours yard and burned thier hole back yard. It all started by three of the guys we share our shop with burning an old fence that they took out early in the day. And on top of all that, he didn't have a perment to burn back there. What can we all learn from this? Fires spread very fast. And can be very expensive!

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ah Yes, Spring is upon us. You make a good point about how fast these things spread. My second full time job is a firefighter and I hate brush fires for many reasons.
    The gear I wear is for structural firefighting, its heavy and hot even when its below freezing. A few departmants actually have the right gear for fighting these but they do it alot. Brush fires go where they want to. Virtually an unlimited supply of fuel. Very dangerous, smoke, heat, and unpredictable wind has made these deadly to lots of people. If it gets way out of hand there is only 1 lady who can put it out and sometimes she is just not in the mood to make it rain.
    Stay safe. Glad to hear you got a handle on it with a minimum of problems.

3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Sorry to hear about your luck.. At least it didn't go to the garage though!!