crazy ethanol

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Mar 8, 2012.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

It is just me or am I crazy that my equipment takes about 10-20 pulls to get running when the heat and humidity increase during the day. 1 or 2 pulls in the morning. It is not just one brand of handhelds. They all act the same from the ethanol seperating from the gas. It pissies me off so much. My customers see me struggling to get the equipment running. It is all fairly new equipment. I tried some fuel additivies and nothing works. What are u guys using to help combat this situation?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

there's something wrong with your equipment. mine starts on first or second pull every time first thing in the morning. the rest of the day they start first pull every time. make sure you use 89 or higher octane and not 87.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Mechanic in a bottle and if it doesn't work then your equipment needs repair.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah try mechanic in a bottle, stabil, or sea foam. any of those should help clean it out a good bit.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Try a bottle of ethanol shield. If that improves the situation there you go. If not you may have other issues. Running 93 octane can cause hard starting by its very nature. Even in FL heat its only 2 pulls when hot on Echo and Stihl.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

What type of fuel grade are you running?
    You should be running at least 89 with a high quality 2-stroke oil.
    I run 91 with stihl HP ultra.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My experience with a large bunch of 2 stroke Echo is they do not start or run better with octane above 87 ever. It is way better to use something that will take any water out of the gas from the ethenol....like Mechanic in a bottle.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Ed gets a check every time somebody says "mechanic in a bottle". Let's help him out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

there might be something wrong with your equipment but the fuel thing is garbage.

I've NEVER purchased an ounce of anything except 87 octane fuel for anything.

my equipment has NEVER given me problems starting either.