Crazy Lady

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Keegan, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I walk off the job w/out asking for payment with PITAs. Of course I'm a solo OP and only have to pick out the jobs I feel like doing.

The last time I had to do that was almost 20 yrs ago. I said, " You can keep the $65.00 - we are off the job NOW."... She gave us the $65 b4 we left. :)

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Never give a sucker an even break... Never give a PITA an even break. :laugh:

3. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell her the truth, you feel she'll be better served by another landscaper.

On another note, a few years ago I had a woman who wanted me to do some pruning all over her yard, basically a bunch of Lilacs, and a couple of Yews. She also said she might want some new Lilacs, but she'd decide that later. So I give her an estimate. She gets back to me saying, "Well it's a little high, and doesn't include a new Lilac. Why don't we try this again, make the price lower and add in a new Lilac."
    She seemed to think we were in some sort of a negotiation. I told her no, this is not how we do business and our prices are not negotiable. She never called back, which is probably good.

4. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

What he said.

5. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Make her pay half up front, and if she starts adding on then tell her it will cost more.

6. NEWGUYRI

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

what a nutcase......

7. MikeWeathers

MikeWeathers LawnSite Member

Any one who complains about the price should raise a red flag. It has been my experince that those who balk at price will nit pick the job, pay late or not at all, watch every second of you working, even worse try to "help", and generally be a PITA. It is NOT ripping someone off to raise your price if you expect someone to be a difficult customer. That's just smart.

8. anotherturfgeek

anotherturfgeek LawnSite Member

I have learned that when pulling up to a house that is a disaster, or when dealing with nut cases, I always increase the price a bit, PUT EACH TASK IN WRITING, make them sign it with 50% down payment. Start work when the check clears the bank.
    When asked for add ons to the original project scope, do it when 1st project is complete,
    after the second check clears. Just because the lady is nuts or a wierd customer doesnt give them an excuse to rip you off.

As for the wall falling down, If she told me I was responsible for repairs if it fell during my operations when the damn thing could fall at any time, That would be a deal breaker and tell her to call me when she has had it fixed....

I would definitely address the wall thing before you start anything. You must cover your butt at all costs. This is a major red flag!

9. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

alright Keegan, so what did you end up doing?