1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crazy Neighbor!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jeds_Lawn_Care, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I mow a guy's yard that is right up next to his neighbors' driveway. No privacy fence or anything. This guy notices two blades of grass that get onto his drive, so I am leaving allot of grass uncut to keep this guy from getting the redaxe (i'm trying to keep it clean here). At his request, when I blow the grass off of the drive and into the street, I have to blow it back into my clients yard. Because if I don't the cars will drive by and blow grass up into his drive:dizzy::mad: .......BTW his yard is spotless

Should I send this guy a bill for like $40 a month, for having to blow the grass all over the place? I mean it is a service for him, not my client. My client says "It keeps him off my back so it is a service for me".

Ya know, its people like this that make lawn mowing misery.

There is that verse the says "Be at peace with all man".:waving:

Just let me hear what you guys think.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

he wants you to clean up your mess ,whats the problem?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately I had to learn this lesson the hard way...
    Yes, even 2 single blades of grass on someone else's prop, if you put it there, clean it up.

In time, I learned how to cut and trim more efficiently so that it makes less of a mess in the first place, but there are many times I run my blower over the neighbor's drives without them saying a word... A lot of times I run the air over their cars as well to get rid of that layer of dust that likes to settle (even if I didn't put the dust on there, this helps put a smile on their face).

There are pita neighbors who will make your life miserable over nothing, but I think this is not one of those cases, even if he is a jerk about it. There is something I learned, and that is to do what I can to keep them off my back, so if they don't want me to park in front of their lot or whatever, yo if it makes them happy and it's just that one thing, do it.

Now if they like to come out every single time and waste 20 minutes of my time with their miserable attitude then that is another story, but first do your job. sux, but such is life :laugh:
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Be happy you have a customer, take pride in doing a job completely and being able to leave the property looking the best. Oh yes, be thankful that these trivial matters are the most troublesome to operating your business.
  5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Leaving grass in the street looks unprofessional anyway.
  6. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

Charge Him.
  7. mblackburn

mblackburn LawnSite Member

always blow back into yard or pick up anyway here

I also blow anything i distribute or that you might think i did ie..neighbors drive if adjoining...we have a lot of zero lot line accounts and my customers yard will touch neighbors driveway...I will actually edge neighbors drive also then blow it off...makes both people happy..remember the neighbor could one day sign up and make you able to cut two without moving your truck (i love those)
  8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, send him a bill. If he replies to you at all, expect it to be ugly and rude and don't ever expect to get a dime of your money. Then, you can take him to court for the unpaid bill and the judge will ask for a copy of the contract or when the "agreement" was made and you'll say"I don't have one sir because he only asked me to clean up after myself in the first place.

Grass in the street is a big no-no. But if there was little enough, like just what caught in the wind while mowing, tell the neighbor to shove it cause you're not the street sweeper. Is it that hard to blow around the property back into the grass you just cut? There cant be that much loose grass around, and if there is, then you have bigger fish to fry.
  9. mblackburn

mblackburn LawnSite Member

I think the work is expected but on the billing issue if you bill anybody for the extra effort it takes you to do your clients lawn to his satisfaction add $5 to your clients billing in a rate increase...if you have $40 worth of clippings to blow i can only wonder if you are bagging it and dumping the bags in your clients neighbors drive....lol

be honest do you even charge the client 40 for the mowing?
  10. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

Jed, can you blow the grass off the driveway into your client's yard? I never blow clippings down the driveway to the street- I always blow from the street into the grass or driveway, then from the driveway to the grass. Doesn't leave a mess at all, even on the grass because you can barely see the clippings. If I make a mess on someone else's property, I clean it up without argument, and that includes blowing off vehicles and other things like furniture, etc.