crazy or no?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fblandscape, May 6, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I ran into my friend's guys today and talked with them for a few minutes. My friend has 1 crew of 3 guys out 5 days a week cutting 115 lawns. (1) 48" belt driven walk behind with a velke, (1) push blower (1) push mower. 1 guy cuts, the other 2 guys trimming and blow.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever works for ya.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Is it even possible to do that many lawns with 1 machine? Apparently a lot of the lawns are small (10 minute stops) but he also has a couple which are multiple acres of cutting, several are about an acre of mowing.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One word applies here:

Relativity.

If I had 200 different customers and they all lived in a row and each one only had a 200 sq ft lawn then I could easily do that many by myself.

But if I had 200 customers that live 5 miles apart on 5 acre lots then a crew of five couldn't do them in a week (40 hour).

See, without details the numbers you listed mean nothing.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if he can get that many done with that little bit of equip then he should be rollin'

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think it is possible.

Maybe there are multiple accounts with 1 stop, which makes it much more efficient.

If he has many close together that only take 10 minutes total, he could do 6 in 1 hour. And if he had much more together he could do a lot in only several hours.

All depends on size and drive time between each one.

And remember, its only an average of 23 per day. Easy for 3 guys even with a 48" walk behind.

7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a buddy that runs 3 crews in cabover full of 48" wb's 61" z's and pish mowers ....all 3 crews work to get a total of 38 lawns a week done! Seems like nothing right? But most are VERY large complexes.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

115 lawns...all I have to say is they have to be very small lawns.

But also look at it this way as well. The guy is probably losing money through paying the guys. One guy is mowing and the other is trimming...well usually you have to wait until the mowing & the trimming is done before you can blow the sidewalks and driveways. So one guy is standing around waiting for the trimming and mowing to be done...and then two guys will be standing around waiting for the blowing to be finished up.

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

What brands of equipment are they running??I'LL take 2!

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

We do 122 ..... last week was about 45 Total Man Hours .... this includes all common grounds & pool area ..... 2 Walkers on the Homes ..... 1 Lazer on the common area

==> But it only counts as 1 customer from the HOA ;->