Crazy prices in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wvaughn7, Mar 1, 2011.

1. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

Just got back from the city council meeting for a bid on two local parks. They are almost 15 acres combined with 2500 ft of chainlink fence that must be trimmed on both sides. On top of this they have a drainage ditch that mostly can't be mower with anything other than a push mower or weedeater. We bid $475 for both which would be 12 to 14 man hours. The low bid came in at $170 per cut. That's like $10 an hour. How do these guys make money? I just don't understand, but if they can make money they are better than I am.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I know what you mean, I didnt even bother bidding on any factories or anything this year. I bid on 2 factories last year in the west end industrial park and got under bid by about $70 dollars per cut, I said well have fun with that.

3. John deer Z

John deer Z LawnSite Senior Member

That is why I do not hardly ever waste my fuel going out to bid on some stuff. I will get under bid so bad here in knoxville by a Latino group that will do it for practically nothing.

4. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

It's getting to the point that commercial properties aren't even worth looking at. I mean I was looking at almost $100 in expenses for this property. That doesn't include if anything breaks. I think we are just going to stay with small properties and people that care what their yard looks like.

5. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Same here WVaughn7 and it was a lot less stressful this year. I am content with the accounts I have anyway and I have had them several years now and they are good customers. I usually pick up a few during the year anyway so I am not worried.

6. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

Well thats the only problem as of now. We are a fairly new company and had a couple move so we are down to only a few accounts at the moment. I know it's still early in the season and most aren't worried about the grass right now, but without the calls rolling in it's always in the back of your head that no one will call haha. I'm just hoping to get a few in the next couple weeks.

7. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

By the way jnrogers are you in Morristown or what? I didn't know if that west end industrial park was the one here or just one nearby.

8. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Yep Vaughn, I am on the west side of town in Talbott. I am in a red F-250 pulling a black enclosed trailer if you see me around. Dont worry about accounts you know how people around here are they wait till it starts growing then it gets out of hand and they rush trying to find an lco. Just keep at it they will call.

9. wvaughn7

wvaughn7 LawnSite Member

Alright I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm not on that end much just have one yard in Franklin Square just west of the Lowe's. Were in a black crew cab F-250 with a 16' open trailer with bed red mowers. Almost exactly opposite of you haha.

10. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing here you bid 599 on a job and its goes for 315. I don't waste my time anymore, don't see how they do it but they do.