Crazy Question My Buddy Asked Me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Sep 28, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

He is piddling around in the lawncare biz and has a 42" riding mower, homeowner model. He threw the question at me that his 42" homeowner rider would mow faster then the 36" WB that I have. If we assumed it goes 5mph, and the 36" WB with sulky goes 6.2 mph, who would cover more ground and quicker?

2. fox9988

fox9988 LawnSite Member

My murry does 4mph wide open high gear (gps) but it won't mow much at that speed.

3. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

your WB would cut it faster number one cuz of the mph.... and number 2 the efficiency of the wb cutting back and forth instead of in the square or perimeter cutting technique is much faster even though you had 6 inches less cut. think of it as coloring in a book. you can color a shape much faster if you use back and forth/side to side strokes rather than following the perimeter of the shape from the outside in.

4. fox9988

fox9988 LawnSite Member

Just checked Exmark's productivity tables. 46"@3mph=1.11 acre/hr(-9.5% for 42")=1acre/hr. 72"@6mph=3.48(divided by 2 for 36" deck)=1.74acres/hr

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks MuleCutter. Great explanation.

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude are you serious? I can circle cut a yard just as fast if not faster than you can back and forth.

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

but why would you circle cut?! thats horrible!

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Why go back and forth? Takes a lot longer to turn around than it does to circle cut

9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Your really limited on a tractor to circle cutting all the time. If you ever wanted to change directions like cutting diagonals it will take longer to turn around at the end of each pass. So the tractor is going to rut up a yard. So in the long run the walk behind is a more effiecent mower than the tractor. I know for a fact the 42" home owner tractor would not out perform the walk behind in thick wet grass.

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How many time do you find yourself cutting grass you've already cut on each corner. Unless you are using a ZTR or WB, it's everytime.