1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Crazy question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by zak406, Jul 9, 2012.

1. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys how are you all doing tonight? I have a quick question that I am unsure of. I have a customer that wants a paver patio put in which is fine no problem. However the patio is going were an above ground pool was. The pool was on top of a pad with 2a and then masonry sand on top of it. The pool was there for 10 + years. My question is would it be ok to use that as the base or would it need to be re excavated and a new base installed. Part of me says it would be fine for the following reason, the pool once held somewhere in the range of 40000-50000 pounds of water (assuming my calculation is correct). That is quite a bit of compaction over a long period of time. Either way what do you guys think? *trucewhiteflag*

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

What are the depths of your base layer and the sand layer?

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Remove sand. Do it right for ensurance / peace of mind purposes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. zak406

thats what I was thinking. It will depend on whether or not they go with flag stone or pavers. If they go with flag stone I may leave it, pavers I will dig it up and re do it. Probably not what they want to hear but I dont want to be back there in a year or two redoing anything... Thanks for the advice though, I dont do a ton of paver's, however I do a good bit of flagstone (patios, walkways) and walls so I wasnt 100 % sure on what should be done. Dvs do you mind if I pm you?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  5. zak406

Ill check, I removed the pool after it ruptured for scrap moneye (lunch money only took me an hour to do lol) and I have to start taking down the deck tomorow. Ill take a shovel and dig it down to see.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Always Feel free to PM me, but sometimes there is a delay in my responding :)