Crazy Request

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpmako, Feb 7, 2005.

1. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call today from someone that said they have an appraiser coming Friday to asses the value of their house. They wanted an estimate for cleaning out the front beds and edging.
    I almost fell out of my chair when he said that. They basically begged me saying that no other LCO would come out this time of year and that they were willing to pay top dollar. So I am sitting here thinking that this guy wants me to come out of hibernation un-winterize my equipment and actually work? :dizzy: So I went and looked at the house. Not too bad probably about 2 to 3 hours of work. I gave him an estimate for $300.00 figuring that I will need to make a couple of gallons of mix for my Redmax and take along two green barrels and some rakes. I am also writing up a contract for full maintenance for the guy for the spring.

Who else would do it?

Jason

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it for $200.

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want to make your house look nice for an appraiser. The more your homes worth the more taxes you pay on it.

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Heh heh, the edging could get a little rough if the ground is frozen. I'd probably do it for a third of that, providing you can do a simple edging without having to get out the jack hammer.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Great, one guy will do it for a $100 less, and one will do it for $200 less. Good job guys. Geez, no wonder everyone bitc hes about lowballers.

Somebody is begging you to do the work, and as stated, you would have to get equipment out of storage and winterizing, along with the fact that nobody else will do it for them. That's called premium service as far as I'm concerned and it better be worth it to me.

Besides, I wouldn't do it. It's fricken' winter and the ground is like rock.

6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

He probaby is getting ready to list the home for sale. the contract will probably be a moot point. LOL

7. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

why don't you quote him for 300 bucks 100 /hr. and then say anything above that is 100/ hour just to cover your butt in case the ground is "Rock Solid" I don't know, I don't have a bed edger , but that sounds like alot of work! Have fun, and hurry, you might have some rain/ snow on the way , I know here in MI It's pouring out right now! !

8. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I would consider asking for pre-payment. I did a $275 cleanup for this guy that was begging a few weeks ago, now he has dropped out of existence, my first collection problem since I started in this business. :realmad:

9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea... Watch out for people looking to sell the house... Had 2 problems in the past 2 years with those type of people... Def. get pre payment..

10. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Have a signed contract. That should alleviate those kind of problems to some extent. Hey Captain guess what came up again http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=95014

Jason