Crazy sounding strategy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Propdoc, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Propdoc

Propdoc LawnSite Member

I've recently heard of a LCO who buys a cheap riding mower at the beginning of the season and sales it(gets rid of it) at the end. Then the following season starts all over again with a new cheap mower. He claims he makes a great deal of money like this because he doesn't have much overhead. I've been doing the math over and over in my head and it just doesn't add up. Does anyone else know of this system or one like it?

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Instead of $950.00 John Deere push mower buy cheap ones and resell them. Just the parts upkeep on my Deere is about $100/year because blade engagement plastic knob always breaks.

But, I have only heard of this with push mowers as a part of a larger operation. I think Murray and Crapsman are too slow to make any money with.

Ken

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I know of many people who do just this sort of thing. They will buy a 36 for $2500 and sell it for $1800 at the end of the season. Then turn right around the very next and do it all over again.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i know people who buy something for cheap, fix it for cheap, and sell it for alot, but never heard of what u talking about

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I do this with products I want to try out. I buy them and use them, if I don't like them I sell them. I also buy and sell stuff from Auction sales. I go to 4 or more sales per month. Sometimes you can get very good deals, sometimes you can get very bad deals. Buyer beware.
    I still have my good equipment for front line use and most of this stuff is just for playing and making money selling.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I knew a gentleman that bought a new commercial rig every year with cash, and traded in the one from the previous year. It was a toro rider, and he saved his pennies every year and paid the difference in the spring. he used it commercially, got a new rider every year, Knew what his depreciation was every year, ( what he paid in cash) and some homeowner got a good used rig that had some life left in it. not too bad of a deal. This plan would be perfect for a rig you love but only lasts 2 years or so. Dave g

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

there are a few guys around here that do that with the local sears retailer.........you can easily tell their properties!! Very professional

Albemarle Lawn,

it sounds like your electric clutch is bad, or you've got a chaffed wire or a bad ground.

i've had this problem with a couple of Deere's that had the pull-out PTO switch, i even contacted the switch maker and they sent me 3 new ones and then i finally tracked it down to a faulty clutch.

8. Propdoc

Propdoc LawnSite Member

That wouldn't be just a bit of sarcasm would it? Honestly I don't see how someone could put their faith and reputation in equipment like that with so many other LCOs using commercial equipment that I assume will give better results. But hey, if it works then don't fix it. Thanks for the reply guys.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I will never buy a $450 lawnboy ever again. I will buy a cheap push mower at a yard sale or something if I ever had to. I never would get the $450 out of it and feel hell, if it don't last then I didn't lose much.

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Your right COS, I just bought a $150 Murray push mower. It doesn't have quite the power my Lawnboy had but it didn't cost $400 either. If I can get 2 years out of it I'll be happy. It also has a better cut and better bagging system.