Crazy supply line angle

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by evergreensolutions, Jun 13, 2008.

1. evergreensolutions

evergreensolutions LawnSite Member

At the risk of getting flamed, I will ask my question. I have an install where the service line is running from the meter to the house at a very awkward angle. The line runs from the left side of the sidewalk to the front right of the house under the front sidewalk. The only place to set the DCV is in the parkway before the sidewalk. The problem is, this puts the service line to the house at a crazy angle to the DCV. I obviously want to set the DCV box parallel to the sidewalk. There is no way to put any number of fittings together to get this angle correct. Am I playing with fire if I CAREFULLY heat and bend Class 200 PVC to the correct angle. The static pressure at the house is 85PSI.
    Thanks for you help.

2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Draw a picture and post it here.

Maybe you can install the box parallel but have the DCV itself at the easier angle. Maybe you need a bigger box tho.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever happened to street elbows?

4. evergreensolutions

Unless street elbows come in every angle from 1degree to 89 degrees, I;ll never get there. Even adding several together just gets me further from the supply line and no closer to the angle I need to be. It is somewhere near a 75-80 degree angle.

5. Wet_Boots

Two elbows make any angle whatsoever. No one has a gun to your head forcing all the pipes to be in a single plane.

6. evergreensolutions

I think I see what you are saying. On the first plane (say of the DCV) run a 'whatever' angle street ell. Then, drop down the length of a street ell and thread the female end into the make end on the DCV) with plenty of thread sealant, and tighten to whatever angle you need. Then go on to supply line/tee to house. Do I smell what you are cooking? It would look something like this.
    DCV-|______
    |
    | <this is the supply line to the house
    |
    Thanks Boots

7. evergreensolutions

Darn left justification

DCV-|_______
    ....................|
    ....................|
    ....................|

Had to use periods to move line over

8. Wet_Boots

You got the idea. Or it can start with a tee in the supply line with the outlet pointing up (or down), and the street ell threaded in. I say threaded, because I'm thinking brass, but in PVC, the street fittings can also be slip.

9. evergreensolutions

Come on PVC guys. Chime in. I know this is an "old trick" used by many plumbers. I am not talking about bending a 90. Just a mild angle to get to a straight DCV. Anyone want to admit to doing this?

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dude.

Put a tee in the supply line pointing straight up. Thread a street elbow into the tee and you can point it in any direction you want.

Come on this is a professional forum.

Here is a tap I did using a similar technique:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]