Crazy to buy a Magna-Matic?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tamo, May 6, 2008.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Right now I'm getting my blades sharpened at a repair shop but not nearly often enough.

I want to buy a sharpener and looked at bench and angle grinders, but now I'm thinking I should get a professional sharpener.

I only have 2 21" mowers and would sharpen twice a week. Is dropping $800.00 for a Magna-Matic and a balancer too much for my situation? I want to get the best sharpening possible.

How do you Magna owners like your machines?
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

just get a bench grinder, does the same exact thing.
  3. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Magna matics are worth it if you're running a lot of big mowers. In your case I'd just grab a $40-$50 bench grinder from lowes/ home depot
  4. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

One Scag Turf Tiger, one Scag walkbehind.

We bought Magna-Matic MAG-8000 even though we don't run mulching blades right now. Bought the $190 balancer and the stand too.

It's worth the $,$$$.$$
  5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

How can you justify all that money for 6 blades?
  6. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Some people just like their toys.
  7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my Magna-matic but I would not buy one for 21" blades. I would buy a 4 1/2" DeWalt Angle grinder with some 60 grit flap discs. I sharpen about 60 blades a week and it has been well worth my investment for my large machines.
  8. For $800 you can buy a LOT of 21" blades... and twice a week? How much are you using those 21" mowers a day?
  9. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

I bought the whole set up,sharpener,stand,balancer.Yeah it was expensive but so was my other equipment.The 30 deg. angle on the blade is what your after,how you get that angle doesnt really matter,I have other cutters stop by when they see me home and get their blades sharpened and most of the blades sharpened with hand grinders have a tendency to have more of an angle than 30 deg.. I used an angle grinder for years and when I my blades on a 3 dollar angle guage being curious I found my angle was too steep, I guess it was the fastest way to get it to feel sharp at the time. But this is one of the biggest debated questions Ive seen asked here. I guess its what ever works for you. I use an 18v cordless impact pull my blades once a week put a quick edge on them and have them back on in less than 10 min. I can take a blade that has no cutting corner put it on a bench grinder,establish a new corner (flat edge) and put the 30 deg back on in less than 5 min. with the Magna Matic and be done. I had to do this when I first got the Magna Matic, my cutting corners were gone and my angles were off and i had some good chips missing. I love mine
  10. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

I missed the meat of the question 2-21" mowers.Hmmm I like my Magna Matic but Id really have to look at the money being made with those versus the expense of the Shapener.I really thought about making a jig that would allow me to slide my blades accross a bench grinder to get the 30 deg.. Now the sharpening wheel material also plays a big role in sharpening, I found this out by ordering a harder wheel from Magna Matic to save wheel life and it just wasnt worth it. The harder one heats the blade if your not careful. Id find someone with a Magna Matic and buy them a few wheels to use their sharpener. LOL The balancer is well worth the money, at least buy one of those, and yes the debate is........wont a nail do the same my opinion...No, nails hold houses together.