Crazy to buy a new '07 Tundra?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tamo, Nov 14, 2007.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I've been looking to upgrade my tacoma to a tundra for a few months now. I planned on buying a stripped down early model reg cab 2wd V8 off of craiglist with cash. Haven't had any luck finding anything priced right yet.

I was at the local Toyota dealer today looking at used Tundras and ended up taking a look at new '07's. I've never bought a new vehicle in my life so I never considered it before. I asked the guy to show me the cheapest new Tundra on the lot.

Found a stripped down 2wd v8 (but still a ton of bells and whistles) for 25,000 with 0% financing or a $3500 rebate taking the price down to $21,500.

The used Tundras I had been considering were all 9-12000 bucks with 120,00+ miles on them. Seems like this a pretty good deal to spend the extra money. I also LOVE the deeper box on the '07 that the older models don't have.

I've never had a car payment before so that would be a new surprise every month, but I can swing the $230 a month it will be.

Anyone who'd been in my shoes before, what kind of advise do you have.

thanks a lot

john

2. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

I have a tundra and I love it. Im not so keen on the new ones though looks wise. I think all the newer trucks out there have gotten way to big...My Tundra is the size of a early 90's chevy or so. It sucks when my buddy has to park in the back of the parking lot because he cant get his truck into a normal spot. Anyways with yours is that just the regular cab longbed? Which v8 does it have also?

3. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

yeah the reg cab longbed which I want. 4.7 v8

what year is yours, what kind of mileage to do get?

thanks

4. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hope you dont want to pull anything with the 4.7 i have an 06 and while its a great truck to drive and i really like it when it comes to pulling it just doesnt have it

5. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

im sorry, but $20k car payment is more like $380-$420 a month

now a $12,000 car is only $200-$230 ( @ 60 months)

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

good luck finding a long bed reg cab tundra of any year! -i had to buy a new one to get one. the one you looked at sounds perfect-buy it! the shallow bed of the old style is a def drawback. avoid the bigger v8. the 4.7 is a proven winner. i have the v6 and its fine for power and mpg

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

the 4.7 is a dog... dont buy if your plannin on pullin with it.

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Over $20,000 is 4x4 pricing in my mind. You can get a chevy/gmc 2500 4x4 with the 6.0l in the low 20,000's. Make it a 1500 2wd with the 4.8l and your talking mid teens for a leftover. I do like the new tundras but why waste that much money. Maybe the salesman was quoting you a high price---I'd shop around pretty hard before I'd consider that deal.

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i just bought an 08 f350. learn from my mistake, before you buy it, get an insurance quote in writing. my quote was $462/ 6 months, and it jumped up to $982/ 6 months. we are still shopping around for insurance and im supposed to pick it up tonight.

10. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford, Chevy, Dodge... take your pick... they will be cheaper and a better work truck