1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

crazy weather

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by david scott, Jan 23, 2006.

1. david scott

david scott LawnSite Member

i'm located in east tennessee and weather has been unusually warm. already had several calls on weeds coming up and clients want a pre-em. applied,do you think it's too early?replies welcome!oh yeah new to site, lots of great info!
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to Lawnsite:waving: :waving: The weather here has been very strange also, wish i could help you out but not sure on Tn. I'm sure some of the guys here can help ya though.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

That is why they called go get there money.
  4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Very unseasonal here in Erie PA this winter also. Lots of snow in D:cool2: ecember, but almost none since!.Lake effect snow watch for tomorrow night. Gonna put the plow back on in the morning and do a snow dance!:p
  5. david scott

good point!:waving:
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

if you do any pre-m this early I would recomend a second app. in april!
  7. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

I am in West Tn. and have been getting a few calls also. I usually start the first week in Feb. if weather starts to warm, but I'm kicking it up a notch and starting this week.
  8. david scott

ever had any problems when starting early? say it comes a cold snap you know how this tenn. weather is. i usually dont start untill march 15
  9. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We are warm in central Md. also.
    Been able to do lime appl's. all month.We will start Dormant oil on trees early.
    I agree, "Go get the money" and plan 2nd appl.
    We could get a late snow and lose a month. Its happened before.
  10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are doing split preemergent apps, starting now would be fine. If you are doing only one, push it off as long as possible. Remember that preemergents only breakdown when there is adequate microbial activity in the soil. When the soil temps are cold, your preemergent is basically in a holding pattern. That is one reason applying early is not necessarily a bad thing.