Crazy Weather!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by indyturf, Apr 5, 2007.

1. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Well we needed some cooler weather to slow down the crabgrass germination, but this is crazy! 70-80 degrees the last couple weeks now we are seeing highs in the low 30s and lows in the teens! probably should winterize the equipment again!

2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Took the hand sprayer (Glyposate) and the water jug back off the trailer, only after having it on for one week. Will be putting down first round 19-0-6 plus Dimension tomorrow over frozen ground. When it thaws it will be to wet!

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you on the weather. Couldn't believe how much crabgrass I was seeing the last couple days so early in the season. How much effect will this cold snap have on the crabgrass? With about 5 days of freezing temps, is that enough to kill off what has already started growing? I got all of my first round down on March 29-30, so I'm hoping I should be ok.

4. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

crabgrass? try 20" of snow

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I sure hope that guy didn't lay down that sod--I told him so--Frozen sod won't grow when it's dead. Better wait like the old timers said. We stand for a hard frost until May 10th.

6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

With the crazy 85 degree temps down here (Tenn.) I planned on stopping any further new-sale apps. with Dimension but not sure now as the frosts this weekend may put a hurtin on early breakthrough of crab. My stop date for the second app. of Prodiamine is April 19-20 and about 80% done with those. Some of the crab along curbs is already past 2-3 leaf stage so I'm hoping it will peel it back but may be better to do some Drive apps. when temps stabilize later this month. All that coupled with a early dry-spell indicates a weird year with lots of juggling. I just hope some of the new sales understand this and have patience. Already passed up on a couple as their turf-type was marked through on the estimate and penciled in "Crabgrass". TG/CL will be happy to throw down fert. on their "lawn" all summer long...not me.

7. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Winterizing in April, something wrong here. It sure isn't any fun trying to work with wind chills in the teens.

8. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn this global warming! LOL

9. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, I've got @ 15 estimates to do just as soon as I can see the ground.:dizzy:

10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I had a n old lady cancel this morning because Iwas waaaay to late putting her pre-emerge down.
    I asked her when she thought ishould have done it. she said March 15. I told her that wouldn't have worked, I had to pick up my kids early from school because there was a foot of snow coming.