Creating a demo system

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by mowtime, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

I usually take a 120 watt transformer and some 12 gauge wire and strip of some insulation every 10' to connect the lights. I am only demoing some uplights and usually only 4-6 at the time, I am careful to not let the separate strands touch each other. Is there a simpler way with some off the shelf connectors or splices that some of you are using. Thank you for your input, I would like to buy the Vista demo package but it is very expensive for what it is.

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

We have regular outlets wired inline in 50' of 12 gauge wire(You can have them at any distance you want, 4'-6' whatever works best for you). We wired up some normal 10' household extension cords into the fixtures and we simply just plug the fixtures in when we do a demo. We use a 900W multi-tap transformer that's completely wired up with plug-ins also (12-15 volts) and is on a 2 wheel cart to make it easier to lug around.

We can do a complete set up of 13-15 lights in about 5-8 minutes if we really had do. Tear down time is very short as well. We have 2 of these systems. One is about 7 years old and the other is about 4 years and we've never had a problem. Our total investment in these kits is around $2000 a piece.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

this has been discussed in a few other threads. We used dabmar fixtures and Deans lightspeed connectors. We have about 10 -12 uplights and a few cast paths... cast wallwash and a 12w brass wallwash as well. to demo a downlight we use an extendable pool pole.

Total investment around 600

4. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

You can buy the quick connects that we use in the CAST demo kits (model No. XCEWTC102). You'll also need to get the crimps (XCEWM10BCK) and heat shrink tubing (XCEWFIT22138).

These are inexpensive and perfect for the job.

5. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

If you demo you should be demo-ing with the same fixture/s that you specify/normally use. Otherwise you create confusion on the part of the client and look unprofessional by using something cheaper or different. Also you should be showing samples of what you intend on using on the client's property. Put the fixture in their hand (these should be pristine fixtures dedicated to your padded sales kit that have not been used in your demo with dirt hanging off the ground stake). You are not selling fixtures you are selling effects but you want to get the point across that you are supplying quality products that will last, unlike 90% of the other providers out there offering landscape lighting services.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I do take samples of the fixtures I use. I show them and let them hold it. I explain that I use other fixtures for demo only because If I lose one or something its no big deal. This is also the IDEAL time to show them the difference between a cheap fixture and the quality your offering. Most the time clients have never held a fixture and know nothing about it. So I feel a comparison is a strong point. I do demo quality pathlighting so they can see the quality and the attractivness of the fixtures.

Its worked for me so far and several others. I dont feel I need to carry around 5k in cast fixtures to show them the effects I can do.

7. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

It's kind of funny, but most of our customers don't even ask or look at our fixtures when we're out at a demo. Then again these are also people who don't mind paying us $125 just to come out and adjust the time on their timer. We carry samples with us, but I think they've been out of the box maybe 2-3 times in the last 5 years.

Selling techniques vary so much depending on demographics and the potential customers. If you can build a good rapport with the potential customer then selling is easy and fixtures you have with you won't matter as much. If they like what you do at the demo and like you, then it's just as easy to sell them a fixture out of a catalog without them seeing it.

8. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

Dave, I have had the same experience. Just this past Monday, again, the prospective customer had no interest in seeing the fixtures. Makes sense I guess. If they have seen your work, in the end, it's not about the fixtures.

9. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

this is the case usually if they have seen your work and have a level of confidence in your skill set

10. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

This may be the case when selling $2,500 projects however when you are selling $25,000 projects it has been my experience that most people want to see the whole package to understand what it is they are investing their money in.