Creating a fertilizer/lawn care program.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by slimart01, Jan 25, 2007.

1. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

Does anyone know the TruGreen Chemlawn program? or would anyone be willing to share their program with me? I'm looking for great fertilizers (liquid vs. granular?)

I mean is Scotts brand bought from Lowe's exceptable? also I'd like to offer aeration in my program? When should the program start, when should aeration be factored in, etc.

Last but not least. Are there any chemical fertilizers that do not require applicator cert.? I use round-up (glyphosate) for weed control on my properties, does this require an A.C.?

------------------------------------------------
    94 GMC Pick up
    5X10 single axle open trailer
    John Deere 54" 737 Z-trak Mower
    21" self-prop. yard man mower
    stihl edger, weedeater, hedge trimmers, backpack blower
    back pack sprayer

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Slimart01:
    Almost all of the programs are about the same. They are based specifically on a grass or turf. Lesco's are about as good as any. You have to get your property in good shape and then do a maintance program. Most of them use a 5 shot program. Just choose a good quality of product. I prefer liquids for weeds and granular for fertlizer as do most of the guys here. Hope this will help.

3. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you need a license to spray Round-up on your customers' properties. That's the first thing you need to look into. Many states don't require a 'license' to apply regular fertilizers (that don't contain pesticides) but you need to check on this. Scotts fertilizers are too expensive. You can find better products at Lesco. Stick with granular fertilizers for now, and use liquid for the weeds. What types of grass are you working with? Bermuda? Zoysia? Fescue?

4. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

Alright, thanks for the feedback. Imma go research some Lesco products and look into licensing. Thanks again

5. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I think saying all programs are about the same is very misleading. Your program has to be designed for your business and how you want to serve your customers.

Ask yourself if you are trying to compete with everyone who can walk into Lesco and get their canned basic program or do you want to seperate fromt he packa nd try to offer a bette program that will grow better grass.