Creating a mulch bed??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jeckel7234, May 15, 2012.

1. jeckel7234

jeckel7234 LawnSite Member

I have never created a new mulch bed and i have a customer who wants 3 mulch beds created a little over 1400 sqft in total area. The area is currently covered with grass and weeds. How do yall normally perform this. My plan as of now is to......
    1. either take spray paint or rope and spikes to outline the project
    2. then take my edgers and dig the initial trench.
    3. Take shovels to dig the edge out to about 8in
    4. Til the rest of the area and dig out the area near bushes and trees
    5. Rake out the area or all the grass
    6. Lay landscape fabric
    7. lay mulch

Thanks for any advice
  2. BitBurger

BitBurger LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I would rent a bed edger at the clients charge - this would save you the headache and look better in my opinion. You can also consider a pre-emergent to lay under the fabric for future weed control. Other than that you seem to have the right idea
  3. snopro321321

snopro321321 LawnSite Member

Mark your area then I use a sod cutter
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

if you are mulching with a wood mulch or compost I would not use weed fabric....sod cutter is the best start.

Mark out
    Sod cut
    Edge with bed edger
    Final rake
    Rake out
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Use a garden hose to outline and review with the home owner.
    Here is where having a very good idea of your cost per year and coverage rates.

If you disturb soil, expect weeds. How are you going to deal with those?
  6. jeckel7234

would there be a big difference using a sod cutter over a tiller. I have a husqvarna rear tiller I think the spread is about 30''. To rent a sod cutter is $120 for the day
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Mark area with spray paint, remove grass with a sod cutter, then create bed edges with bed edger or a shovel, Plant your plants appropriately, then spread your mulch.

I wouldn't bother with weed fabric. A thick enough layer of mulch will block out weeds just fine.
  8. jeckel7234

can a tiller still get the job done with not much more work than a sod cutter or is it worth renting a sod cutter. The dimensions are

45x10 bed that already has 3 small trees in it
    60x3 bed with 9 small bushes in it
    80x10 curved section along a side walk with 6 larger bushes in it.
  9. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with the tiller is you'll just till the stuff back into the soil and risk some of the grass and weeds re-germinating.

Just bill the customer the rental fee for the machine. Around here it's about $70 for 4 hours rental on a sod cutter. Those are some pretty big beds though...that's gonna be a lot of labor to remove all that material by hand. You may wanna look into renting a stand on skid steer machine (I.e. Toro Dingo)You may wanna just kill it all off with Roundup or something similar and then cut the bed edges, then fill with mulch.
  10. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a sod cutter and have also sprayed with roundup nice and heavy. Both methods worked fine but the sod cutter worked the best. It also leaves a nice crisp edge. I'd recommend the sod cutter. it's a lot of work to roll up the sod and remove it tho. if you have pallets and a mini skid, it'd def help.