Creating Professional Flyers...any pointers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Jul 9, 2001.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the process of creating some flyers. I don't want them to look like the neighborhood kids flyers and its tricky to get a streamlined professional flyer. Is there any pointers you guys can give out to myself or others interested in this? I mean like format, should the name be big, is there a certain fact that has shown to keep the customers attention.

Looking basically for those "tricks" to keep the customer wanting to look at the flyer.

2. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I prefer using business cards.

Usually whenever I see a flyer stuck to my doorknob when I get home, the first thing I do is chuck it. It's kinda like the tele-sales call you get when you've just sat down for dinner. You don't care what they're selling - you don't want any. But that's not to say flyers are useless. I just think business cards are better because they can be more professional, easy to slip in a wallet, and depending on where you get them - cheaper.

Just my $.02
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I no longer use flyers. I now use brochures. Basicly the same thing just tri-folded with printing on front and back. I feel they're soooo much more professional and more likely to be read and not pited. I print them on cardstock. I stole the idea from Kirbys after seeing his brochure on the site. If you have MS Publisher or Adobe Acrobat Reader I can send you a copy of mine if you e-mail me.
  4. syzer

Yeah please do. I am actually working on a brochure myself to give out. I was just pressed for time and needed something by today.

I would appreciate it if you would forward a copy to me, I contacted Kirby to give me a hand but didn't get a second response =( guess he doesn't want me having one =(. I really appreciate the pointers guys. Thanks allot.

One other quickie question, when I make a flyer on publisher how do I make it into a .doc so I can post for everyone to see?

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

e-mail me at and I'll send you the file. I can't send it through Lawnsite cause it's not the right file type.
  6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

7. First off one can only read a .doc file if they have MS word.
    Everyone can read a .txt file for every windows 9X puter has word pad built into the OS.

If you have a .pub file you need to have MS pub to read that file.
    Also if you have MS pub 97 you will not be able to read a file made on pub 2000.

If you want to be able to open and read many files I suggest using Quick View Plus.
  8. charlesw

charlesw LawnSite Member

Flyer looks great. :cool:

Does anyone use color in their flyers or brochures? :confused:

I wanted to make my flyers standout from the neighborhood kids flyers so I was going to make mine in color. But when I found out that our local Kinko’s charge about $1.00 a sheet for making color copies, I changed my mind.
  9. syzer

Thanks for the link, I already seen them I cant really make it all out. I came up with a flyer I think is pretty good, but I still want to make a brochure, just could use some ideas =). You can fit allot of good information on them.

I know you can only read a .doc file with ms word. Most ppl I believe have that since allot of the flyers I have seen posted on here were in word .doc. Text file wont show graphics and fonts which I would like for everyone to check out the thing in its entirety. I appreciate the suggestion though. Is there any way to make it into a doc that you know of?
  10. charlesw

charlesw LawnSite Member

You can also creating it in PDF format. That is something that everyone can read and also protects your work. The PDF reader is free, but the PDF writer will cost.
    Let me know if I can help. I do have the PDF software, let me know if I can help.