1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Creative Pipefitting

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, May 14, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

At the risk of being chewed on for padding my posts here's a couple of pics from a repair this past week. :)

Picture #1 shows the crack in a 2" tee. The crack was caused by the pressure of roots from two coastal redwoods. For those that are not familiar with these trees they have two types of roots; large primary roots and millions of fibrous smaller roots.

Picture #2 shows the creative pipefitting I finally settled on. There was no way that a tee was going to be slip-fixed or otherwise put back in. Too many roots and the three sections of pipe ended up on different horizontal planes from root pressure after the tee was cut out.

GWHS Zone G-4 Leak IV-01.jpg

GWHS Zone G-4 Leak IV-02.jpg
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Good job.

I was expecting something totally wacky, but that makes a lot of sense :)
  3. PurpHaze

After taking two of us three hours over a two day period just to clear the roots away by using our DeWalt saws I chose the easiest way to complete the repairs. I just hope this holds until after I retire. :laugh:
  4. PurpHaze

More creative artwork. Contractors used two 45s where a 90 would have done well. However, the whole thing was under pressure from the 2" lateral line above the main and it finally gave.

Green Acres C-16 Area Mainline Leak IV-01.jpg

Green Acres C-16 Area Mainline Leak IV-02.jpg

Green Acres C-16 Area Mainline Leak IV-03.jpg

Green Acres C-16 Area Mainline Leak IV-04.jpg

Green Acres C-16 Area Mainline Leak IV-05.jpg
  5. That is what we call a double trouble 90 fix. We use that repair technique on main lines repairs. Looks nice...
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Pic 5 is particularly special. Looks like they had run out of everything that day.
  7. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

was the hole in the first set of pics big enough to get down in there or did you have to work on it hangin over the edge ( on belly)? i hate tree roots too
  8. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Have you seen the Air Spade? I saw one used today and they could be the ticket for roots or hard-packed dirt.

9. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

i bet i know why they used 2 45's......... they didnt have a 90 on the truck... lol

also looks like it failed due to the lack of cement....
  10. No primer and blue glue on the pipe or fitting, not both = some jackleg contractor. Did we not talk about this type of incorrect gluing technique in another thread?