Credit Card Fee

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stickleylawncare, Dec 14, 2011.

1. stickleylawncare

stickleylawncare LawnSite Member

Recently switched over to Quickbooks and fully planning to switch over for next year. Several customers are open to both online CC payments and the email invoicing. For those that do either, do you bite the cost as "the cost of doing business' or do you add some sort of small fee?

Im tempted to add a small fee, that would negate some of the cost, but I know I hate when I try to pay bills online and there is a "convenience fee".

2. JDT Property Care

JDT Property Care LawnSite Member

Why not just build that into your pricing and not show a fee? Just increase your prices 3% to make up for the % you'll be paying to accept a credit card...

I don't charge any additional fees to accept a credit card, after all, I am getting my money that much quicker.

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I just started adding it into my estimates. I don't charge the whole amount of the transaction because I am saving on stamps, envelopes and my time. But I do charge them and they don't see it as a fee.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I believe there are legal issues on "charging a fee." Before implementing a line item, you should check with your accountant, or attorney on this matter.

5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

here in MA we can not add a fee for credit card use, but ironically we can do the oposite and give a cash discount. Just about every gas station has one price and right beside it the cash price. If you are paying 3% on processing then simply raise all pricing 3%, if only half your sales are paying by credit card then raise your pricing 1.5% across the board to cover your fees.

6. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Do you have a loan or credit card with more than 3% Apr? If yes then why are you worried about losing 3% on cc fees?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

We just recently had to raise rates this past year. A lawn mowing that was $30 per cut, is now $32 per cut..we don't do credit cards, but if I were to add that feature, the per cut would look something like this $34.50

8. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

You know who is likly to use and put some fat on them. Or jus up prices on every one. In 5 year almost every on is going to pay with bank check or bank card. Thats good, card payment can be taken over phone.

The less you tell them about your pricing the better off you will be.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Heh.. who says you can't? Google Durbin Amendment from the merchant standpoint.

10. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

I think adding a price hike for the "service" is the way to go. Taking credit cards will make us look more like pros. You could keep it on file and run it at a phone call.

Hi Mr. X; I wanted to know if it was ok to run your card xyz for this months service?:rolleyes: Ok, sure thank you. :)

or we can still do

Hi Mr. X I was call to talk about your balance. We havn't seen pay ment for last months bill. :mad: