1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

credit card payments?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by yergus, Feb 9, 2003.

1. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i have been bombbarded by companies trying to sell me on accepting credit card payments (trying to sell me their services of course)
    it sounds like a good idea, but the fact that i only had one customer in seven years ask about credit card payments does not warrant going with the added expense.
    then i ask my self, "will this be a good selling point with prospective customers or will it not matter either way.
    how many of you have benefitted by using credit cards as a form of payment and is it worth the cost?
    sorry for any poor spelling or grammar.
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I seem to only be asked once or twice a year if I accept credit cards. For me its not worth the hassle for the little interest.....
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I have found larger accounts like the whole credit card thing. I accept most cards doing landscape design jobs. It's worth it for me cause it's big $$, not maintenance.
  4. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

Would not do business without them- If you have quickbooks you can use their merchant services -you save time you do not need hardware or softeare u just click and boom it goes into your bank account:D No waiting for the check
  5. terramike

terramike LawnSite Member

I am starting out myself and have wondered about that as a payment option. Someone mentioned something about quickbooks...? What are the costs of plastic?
  6. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

The charges vary with the cards and with the processer you are with. Ours are from 1.8%-2.7% of each transcation. They also hit you for other assorted fees. Not swiping the card raises the rate. I hate them, but we have to have them for our retail (other) business. And you DO wait for the money, it is NOT put in your account immediately. How quickly it does go in is again, negotiable, based on the rate you pay. IE 4 days is much cheaper than 2 days.
  7. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

Mike are we talking a about the SAME qb services?
  8. Mike Bradbury

No, regular credit card processing.
  9. Mike Bradbury

How does QB processing work? I've NO doubt it is more expensive. I assume you are just going through a bank setup to do it for them.
  10. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

If you have quickbooks pro-go to merchant services it explains it there- for us it's simple easy no bs and economical -no new software-no headaches-and easy-not costly