Credit card

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by willretire@40, Aug 15, 2006.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

For all the companys that are charging credit cards the day after service.
    How are new customers accepting this policy? What % of people are saying no and not going with your company? The people that do sign up do they seem to love it? Also with this policy are you seeing less cancelations b.c of people saying they cant afford service anymore compared to them being charged once a month? Also are your complaints alot less and do you see that you can get more work done in a day by not having to knock on door and get a payment?

2. mr.we.mow.grass

mr.we.mow.grass LawnSite Member

This is our first year in business, we have signed up 343 customers, just a guess that 75% are credit cards and the rest is check mailed to out PO Box before we mow, we push for the credit card and charge next day. We may have not signed up 30 people due to credit card or mail in check. Complaints are mostly from new people that have not had there grass mowed for a few weeks and the edging is 6 foot in the road. We do not bag so it takes about 2 times to get their property under control. If you have to wait on payment at the door you are loseing time.

my 2 cents worth
    Mel

3. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

how the hell did you get 343 customers in 1 year

4. mr.we.mow.grass

not even a year, we started advertising in march! you have to circulate to percolate.

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

I'm calling BS! many companies in biz alot longer than that still dont have those kind of numbers. how many crews do you have?

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hmm.. mr.we.mow.grass joined Lawnsite in October of 2005 and has 30 posts.

CLARK LAWN also joined Lawnsite in October of 2005 and already has 247 posts, over 8 times the number of posts as mr.we.mow.grass .

So, one is out cutting and getting new business, and one is sitting at the computer calling other companies liars because they can't figure out how to get the high number of customers like the company with only 30 posts.

7. mr.we.mow.grass

It makes me no diff what you think, the one thing I see wrong with posting something on this site is someone like you calling burgers and snot! I have no reason to lie!

I have 2 crews that have 3 people in each truck and sometimes have to get extra help to manage heavy days.

I also buy and resale single family houses (I guess making 20 grand in a resale is BS to) , I have used some of the basic business principles from that business and used them in mowing grass.

And on my spare time I work at a major manufacturing/DC company as Director of Maintenance. Over the years I have learned how business runs, from maintaining machine and equipment, purchasing, accounting, shipping, sales and marketing, contracting work and many other things inside a corporation.

One man can not do it alone, I have to thank my future wife Kimberley for ANSWERING the PHONE, the one thing that is most important is ANSWERING
    the PHONE! And she keys in all the info needed. I have a team!

You know its much like wanting to go fishing, you will do whatever it takes to go fishing! Skip work, spend money on bait, tackle, license, boat and fuel, but will not take a couple of hours to advertise your business!

I am not going to get in a pissing match, I simply replied to a question the best way I knew how. Maybe if you spend more time pushing a mower then your computer you will have success in your personal business! And maybe I just took your comment the wrong way!

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Damn! Have you been following me around and taking notes?:laugh:

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

hrmmm 2 crews running 343 accts ? wow....I dunno what to say on that lol. Specially with the way crap grows here in ms. Gotta be super small lawns.

10. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Very possible using a 3 man crew and depending on the ratio of bi-weekly to weekly.

Just cuz you ain't done it, don't mean it can't be done.