1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

CREDIT CARDS - Do you accept/ Is it beneficial/ What company do you use?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tyler7692, Aug 6, 2007.

  1. Tyler7692

    Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,086

    Title of post basically says it all.

    Do you guys accept credit cards?
    If you find it very beneficial, what types of clients are most likely to use (Mid or High end?)

    What company do you use to process your transactions?

    What are the average fees like?
  2. slicknickis3

    slicknickis3 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 7

    One benefit is that you have your customers card on file. You charge it when their payment is due, you instantly get your money.

    I've used PayPal in the past for online sales, and I belive they take about 2-3% as a processing fee.
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

    Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,210

    I too have taken paypal from a few customers , i dont advertise it but i have it all setup because some want 10k in landscape work and only want to use a credit card or 0% offer that they have so i make sure im making enough or usually they agree to a 1.5% charge to do it, because it costs 3% i think on my paypal account.

    I still think its way too much money to do debit/credit cards on the fly like in the truck terminal, the equipment/monthly service costs and transaction fees just arnt worth it to me.

    Have you ever dealt with chargebacks? Trust me, you think you have the crappy customer one upped because their numbers already on file to bill, then they dispute it because theyre unhappy or something and walla, your out your money and going into court anyway.:hammerhead:

    HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,981

    I go thru my bank for processing, it's 2.1% plus I think 25 cents per transaction. I really think in our line of work, where we are WAY down on the bill-paying priority list for many customers, making customers use CC's is the way to go. That or either set up where you auto-draft the payments out of their checking accounts. Having your money in your account when you need it is priceless.

    I have about 35% of my customers on CC's. All new customers since last year have to pay this way, and its great. The other 65% I'm about ready to strangle...the trend has been people paying later and later, skipping months, etc. I sent the paper invoices out for them last Wed and here 8 days later just a smidgen of payments have come in. Nothing in the last 2 days, which is very unusual. I'm about done with all that...in 2008 they ALL will pay by CC.
  5. Matts lawn care

    Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD
    Posts: 829

    I am interested in getting a web sight up and letting my customers pay with plastic. Here is my question. Do you pay the 3% or whatever it may be or does the customer pay the 3%? Thanks for the help in advance.
  6. PlatinumLandCon

    PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,315

    Lots of flyers I get in the mail have a 5% convenience charge to pay with plastic. This means they profit on the extra fee which isn't fair, just charge what the bank charges you. Just explain to the customer how beneficial and stress-free it is to use plastic that an extra buck or two means nothing when you factor in the bank fees for writing a cheque. They'll usually bite.

    HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,981

    The bank takes out all the fees once a month from my account, my old processing company took them out with each transaction.

    Normally when you sign up for CC processing, part of the agreement is you won't charge extra for someone to pay by CC, nor have a minimum charge. Although a lot of merchants violate this...

    If you charge enough for your services, the small fees won't hurt you. Having the money on-time will only help you.
  8. Mow It All llc

    Mow It All llc LawnSite Member
    Posts: 115

    I use the same service on my website......i have found it helps alot. Well worth it

Share This Page