Credit cards - Quickbooks, anyone use them

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JayD, Feb 5, 2011.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I am thinking of trying out taking credit cards this year, has anyone used that service with Quick-books?
    How is it, pro's - con's ?
    What does it cost to do this?

If not Quick-books, then who should i use?

THANKS....

2. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

i looked into that last year. i think its 13 bucks a month, plus an additional fee per transaction. i have paypal on my website with no monthly fee. Their is a transaction fee of 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction though. i haven't been able to use use it a ton yet but so far so good.

3. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

Hey Jay I use Quickbooks but I went with square as far as taking credit cards you can process them right through your smart phone and there are no monthly fees just per transaction check out there website. So far so good.
    Sorry about the Colts we will be back next year.

4. JayD

So your saying that paypal is cheaper for you then quickbooks? I have paypal, just not linked it to my web site yet, I need to do that. I tell customers about it and a couple use it for their points.

5. JayD

So is that just square.com?

I have no smart phone, so will this still work?

Yeah, the Colts were so banged up like all season, we are so blessed to see them just make it to where they did and I don't know how they even pulled that off, luck I guess...LOL

6. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

PayPal's Fees
    2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
    If you sign up for Website Payment Pro with credit card processing, PayPal holds 30% of your transaction on a 90 day rolling reserve. This does not apply to you if you are just using Website Payment Standard. Website Payment Pro also has a monthly fee. I dont remember but I think it is $20 - $30 per month. Also, if you piss a customer off, they will be able to get the money back pretty damn easy even if you provide receipts. PayPal tends to favor the buyer on any payment that does not have proof of delivery such as intangible goods or services.

Merchant Account Fees
    Fees vary depending on who you choose. Here is the one I use:
    $10 monthly fee
    1.79% + $0.15 per transaction
    Money deposited into my bank account in 48-72 hours.

Customers give me their credit/debit card upon sign up and are billed following service.

In my opinion, PayPal is good to start out with and customers may prefer it over giving you their card number. However, if you present yourself in a professional manner, have a clean looking, professional looking website, customer generally do not have a problem with it. I have probably had about three customers who have questioned it and I was still able to assure them that their information is safe with me.

I do not use Quickbooks. I just use Gopher and my merchant accounts virtual terminal to process credit cards. Be sure that you have active antivirus on your computer to keep keyloggers and other viruses off of your computer to protect customer information.

7. JayD

Thanks for all that info, yeah I do have protection, just renewed it for two years.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I run QB's online service @ $15/ month. It requires I get on a website to run the cards - but is the cheapest option for the low volumes I process.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

For my current operation, yes. I looked into quickbooks and they seem like it would would work better for a higher volume of cards being processed. Most of my customers still pay me in cash or check so paypal works great for me.

10. lyndont

lyndont LawnSite Member

I have an app on my blackberry that works for paypal and its the cheapest for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device