1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

credit cards

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dtford, Oct 22, 2009.

1. dtford

dtford LawnSite Member
    from 02338

Have had a customer in my town for about 10 years, It's the local post office.
    Gross receipts w/ snowplowing is approx. 2800-3000 per year. They now want to change the payment process to credit cards. I don't take credit cards, and have no idea what to do. I have approx. 85-90 weekly customers who all pay with a check, and it works out fine for me. They've told me the only way they can continue keeping me as a vendor, is if I accept credit cards. I don't want to lose a customer, but I'm too stupid, and too mom and pop to be able to handle accepting credit cards from customers. Any suggestions ? Thanks
  2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you use Quickbooks, if so they will handle it seamlessly.
  3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

become a Costco Executive Member. Go to Costco.com and search for business services. They will hook you up with Aveon cc services. They have the lowest rates that I've found. You just punch in the numbers, or scan the card. The $$ shows up in your checking account in about a day.
  4. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Yea Quickbooks will do it for you.

Or Do you have a paypal account? They can pay that way with a credit card. Then you have the money deposited into your bank account. Little more of a PITA but if it keeps 2-3k of reciepts then maybe worth it.
  5. DuallyVette

Quickbook was a lot more expensive that Costco/Aveon.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

there r all kind of hidden fees
  7. dtford

dtford LawnSite Member
    from 02338

please elaborate on hidden fees. what kinds of hassles am I in store for ?
    any help would be appreciated
  8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i did QB last year for my electronics biz and they charged me like 30 or 50 a month plus processing fees -- ended up canceling it pretty quickly it wasnt worth it for me
    there are hidden fees they dont tell you about up front-- it may be in the fine print so
    pay attention
  9. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not worth it for one customer. If you can get 70% of your business through credit cards then it's worth it. Spread those fees out over a lot of customers.

Next season I'm going to switch 100% of the mowing over to credit cards and the fert/squirt I'm starting as well.

If you sell high dollar installs such as decks, landscape, hardscape then credit cards are great. It's easier to sell Johnny and Suzy Homeowner a big project if they can just charge it. Damn near gurantees you'll be paid as well.

Do your research, there are tons of merchant accounts out there for you to use.
  10. DuallyVette

With the "Costco/Aveon/Executive Membership" I pay $20 a month minimun. Based on a 1.9% + about 27 cents per entry. So If you charge $1000 on 1 customers card, you bill will be $19.00 + $.27 and you will be charged the $20 minimum fee. The Costco Executive membership costs $100 a year. I get 2% back on all Costco purchases I make a year ( including gas, which is already the best price around) I just got a check from them for $120 for last year, and now they will be charging my American Express Costco credit card the $100 annual membership fee...so I came out a few dollars head. The AmEx card also gives me 3% ( was 5% last year) back on up to $3000 or so on gas purchases made anywhere. Last year there was no dollar limit, and they sent me a check over $700.00