1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Credit Cards?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Kyle Carter, May 27, 2002.

1. Kyle Carter

Kyle Carter LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys accept credit cards? Does it improve sales? How much?
  2. Yes
    I don't think it helps sales all that much but it makes it easier for a customer short on cash to pay.
    I do a lot of 1 time jobs on CC
    mow cust. who pay monthly by CC has averaged 10%
  3. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

No CC here. Have been putting thought to it. I can see how it would be easier for the custr. Maybe have a link on the web site for them to click and pay. Has anyone else done this??
  4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We agonized for years about taking credit cards. Finally started two years ago..... great move.
  5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

It does have lots of advantages. Even the US Govt pays some things by credit card which shortens the time it takes to get their money. On the humorous side, I've seen couples salve their guilt about spending by thinking of the flyer miles they were collecting. If you have a portable unit, you can complete the transaction anywhere there is a phone line, which saves you some money and assures that the authorization is valid.
  6. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I was advised not to by my accountant. Too much hassle I guess.
    We don't do "one time" services. Contract only.
    From my understanding there is a considerable wait for a check if you do CC's. Maybe I'm wrong.:confused:
  7. Dennis
    My bank deposits CC receipts into my account the same day. Its a simple phone transaction.
  8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I told ya'! Like I said,I'd probably be wrong.:eek:
    Something I have never really considered. We used to do service for a chinese lady with a nice restaurant. She did a lot of card business and said it was a real PITA. She always had to wait for "the check". But it was around 8 years ago and things change now from one week to the next!:eek: Technology,ain't it sweet?
    A big portion of our residentials are "older folk" and the CC thing would not be welcome with them. The biggest part of our income is from commercial properties and they always pay with checks anyway. They need to go thru the procedure.
    The CC would work great for "one time" shots it seems.
    I sure get a lot of mail from companies trying to get me to go to that system. Too old and set in my ways,I guess.:rolleyes:
  9. Always Green

Always Green LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of starting, just upgraded to Quickbooks2002 and it prosses cc with out buying a cc machine,same bank fees as everybody else , but no machine costs.
    But I'll only take them for landscape construction(hydro-seed,plantings,sod,etc.) if i have to take them on lawn service then the customer will have to cover the extra cost of prossing.
  10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

On the one hand I like the conveinence of the card. But on the other hand I just signed up for them, and ran one a couple of weeks ago. The company I am with boasted 24 to 48 hours and the money hits your account. My first card, and thankfully the only one still has not hit my account, the one I ran about 2 weeks ago. So it looks like I will be fighting with that today, since it rained most of the night.