1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ability, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

I am not sure if this is the correct forum or "elements of the business"

I am wanting start receiving credit/debit cards next season and looking for advice.

For, those who have done this:

1. What is the best institution to use - local banks, paypal, or other ?

2. How have customers reacted to it?

3. What are the pitfalls? What should I watch out for?

Thanks for the help
  2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

There were some really good discusions on this a few months ago. do a search and you will fine tons of information.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

What is wrong with cash...........
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

1. you will have to go through a merchant account
    don't use PayPal, they are worse then merchant accounts when it comes to fees
    2. Probably less than 5% of my customers use credit cards, but the ones that do use it love it
    3. high rates, and processing fees. Also sometimes you are locked in for 2 years with merchant accounts, and you have to pay a fee to get out of the contract
  5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i use pay-pal and i can set it so they customer can have there cc auto charged each month
  6. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

Using pay-pay how do you work out the months that have five mowing weeks in them?

I looked at the auto pay feature and if you charge weekly instead of monthly it costs a lot more.

However, when you charge monthly with the average mowings per month being four you don't account for the months that have five weeks in them.

How have you worked around this?

And thanks to all for the answers....please keep them coming
  7. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i charge monthly for say $200 for 12 months. and mow feb-sept weekly and bi weekly oct-jan so it all works out. if you want with pay pal you can set it for every 4 weeks to come out or weekly what ever you want.
  8. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I use Q clip for my routing and it transfers all information to my quickbooks program.

From there I can do it all.
    I do normal Monthly Billing but I get paid 30 days later
    I just started there merchant account. its 2.39 percent when the card # is entered. Its 17.00 a month. WELL WORTH IT

When the day is over. i charge all the cards.. its so much easier and.. I have the money.
  9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I take MasterCard & Visa through my bank. They put the money in my checking account in a matter of hours. I only started taking MC & Visa to try to collect from a couple of past due and slow payers. We charge their accounts on their due date. I wouldn't want to accept cards from all my customers. a 2.5% fee from all my accounts would make a truck payment.