1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Credit Checks?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Frontier-Lawn, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

How does one go about checking a new or present cleints credit? i have a deadbeat list i use but, sometimes that does not work i quess.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Checking it for what? If your extending them credit then they need to fill out a credit app. and you can submit that to the big 3 and get a credit score. I don't believe you can run a credit check for a monthly mow or fert etc. unless they agree to filling out an application. Easier way is to get a CC # on file with a contract that says if there x amount of days late with payment you can charge the card.
  3. LibFinServ

LibFinServ LawnSite Member

There are quite a few companies around that will run a bureau for you (for a fee of course). Google "third party credit checks". Typically you will need verbal authorization from your customer to run a credit check, but I would highly recommend having a 'mini - app' with a spot for their siganture and authorization.

A credit check is a good idea especially for larger private accounts or if you are going to be fronting material costs.