Credit/Debit Cards, do you charge a fee?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Hermanator, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Hey guys.... was wondering if you take credit cards and this is your preferred method to get paid, would you charge a handling fee?

What if it is not your preferred way, but you still take them?

Credit/Debit cards run about 2.2% and $.25 per transaction for the use, so it can be fairly costly for every week lawn mowing companies that bill this way. $30.00 dollar lawn is now costing you $1.01 to get paid.

Just wanted your thoughts, thanx:waving:

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

On merchant aggreements you cannot charge a "service charge" for accepting credit/debit cards. It is something you would want to check in your merchant aggreement.

In a retail setting credit cards are fine. But for some the LCOs it is more of a expence than a benifit.

3. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I Was Recently Charging A 3% Surcharge, But After Reading A Few Forums About It, I Found That You Can Not Do That, So I Just Adjust My Prices To Reflect The 3% Surcharge And If They Pay Cash, I Offer A Discount.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I think you can't offer a discount if you pay cash because if you use cc your still charging a 3% surcharge for using it.

5. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

already checked this out... you can charge a filling fee, or a handleing fee. just as long as you don't call it a service charge.

6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

The stores here charge if it's a debit card even with a visa logo

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

All my new clients are CC only and auto payments to using QB the invoice is automatically generated on the 3th of each month and 2 days later the payments come through .
    I do nothing .
    I have 150 clients arranged this way

I love it

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few customers that pay with credit...I only offer it via paypal online and I charge a 4% convenience/processing fee

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on who is providing the service.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i give a discount if they use credit cards.