1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Creeping Bentgrass Problems

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by somo1, May 8, 2008.

1. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

The past couple of years I've noticed Creeping Bentgrass showing up in lawns that I've reseeded, including my own. I use a good quality seed and when asking the supplier, of course they deny that it came in their grass seed. Has anyone else noticed a trend of Creeping Bentgrass showing up in their lawns? We have TTTF/BG lawns and the Bentgrass shows up like neon grass. Its brighter green, grows and spreads in patches, hates the summer heat without watering. Let me know if you've had any experiences with it and how to get rid of it, besides Round-up. Thanks
  2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I see this around here the last 5-10 years too.

I think part of the reason is because more and more homeowners are putting in their own backyard putting greens...and they're actually going out and finding real bentgrass seed to plant on the internet, somewhat retail-friendly stores like JD / Lesco, or wherever.

Plus...the business of installing "home golf greens" complete with irrigation systems, as well as the needed service of fertilization, fungicide & insecticide on these greens, specifically, is booming in many parts of the country.

But the "do-it-yourselfers" of these greens projects, who leave the bentgrass seedheads 'get away' too far by allowing too much height; are probably the biggest culprits.

Also...could you have a golf course nearby, where the seedheads could possibly be "escaping" from at times ??!!
  3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

you can check and see if tenacity herbi is labeled for your state-for T&O

syngenta emailed me saying it would be available in MA for 09 season