Creeping charlie (Glechoma heberacea)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TMiller, Jul 31, 2001.

1. TMiller

TMiller LawnSite Member

Because of the cost to have our lawn sprayed, I am thinking about getting a tank sprayer for my LT to save $$$.

1) can I get spray to keep the creeping charlie down (under control) that will work good?

2) is this a dumb idea? shoud I only consider paying some one else?

Our lawn is under an acre if this helps, I live in MN.
  2. Leroy

Leroy LawnSite Member

I assume your referring to " Nepeta hederacea" more commonly known as ground ivy? You can purchase a pull behind 12 volt tank sprayer from somewhere like Quality Farm & Fleet or Tractor Supply Co. If you choose to do it yourself look for a labeled broadleaf weed control product that specifically lists this plant (there are many) It may require repeat applications to control. Do not exceed the labeled application rate or apply more times than is listed on the label. Follow all the safety directions and wear all the personal protection the label directs. In the long run I believe you would be much better served by seeking out a licensed pesticide applicator (lawn service) who can safely and properly apply the herbicide. If your yard is under one acre the cost should not be prohibitive and you will recieve professional results without exposure to chemicals or the purchase of equipment. Hope this helps.
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

4. CCLS

CCLS LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

What products do you guys use to control creeping charlie? I read the links Jim had, but was wondering if anyone has had luck with any specific products. I have a couple new clients this year that have extensive ground ivy infestation about 50% of the lawn area. I would like a chemical product that I could apply, without having to completely renevate the yard.