Creeping Charlie?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vball2116, Mar 26, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone I have a question about this weed that seems to be growing close to my yard and is creeping into our yard. I have pictures of what it looks like and maybe its creeping charlie, but I am not sure. The weed seems to be spreading and I want to nip it in the bud before it takes over. It kinda looks like clover but just one bigger leaf not the three leafs like the clover has. Also, what products will kill it or control it and will it be cheaper to just tear up the grass where its at and plant new grass. Thanks for the help in advance.

Jeff

IMAG0021.JPG

IMAG0022.JPG

IMAG0023.JPG

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Not creeping charlie, hard to see it but it may be pennywart.

3. vball2116

Hey thanks for the reply, I went to scotts and i found pennywort but they also called it creeping charlie so i guess its the same thing.

Thanks,
    Jeff

4. qps

from Indy

we don't call it the same there here, alot of people will call veronica or speedwell creeping charlie. I see the weed in question under alot of trees or shaded area's.

5. vball2116

Hey I just went outside and just took a sample and it should look better so you can identify it. Do you have any idea on how to kill it?

Jeff

IMAG0024.JPG

6. qps

from Indy

I guess some do call ground Ivy creeping charlie, anways best time to kill is when it actively growing, or if a small area you could roundup it and reseed, this stuff isn't the easiest for a home owner to control so you may want to call a cert. applicator...you can always try some over the counter selective weed killer and follow the label.

7. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

looks like what we call creeping charlie here. It's a viney weed that the stems break off of when you try to pull it up. It is very invasive and will be an ongoing problem until your neighbor takes care of his too. It is notoriously hard to eliminate but I think they just keep knocking it back with a broadleaf weed control. I don't spray so I'm not sure what they use.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the funny thing about it...Pennywort is NOT Creeping Charlie. Whoever did the research for the Scott's website should've taken a little more time or a little closer look lol. There are two different types of Pennywort (Asiatic and Dollarweed), and neither one of these are Creeping Charlie. Creeping Charlie is Ground Ivy. The latin name is Glecome Hederacia. Actual Ground Ivy is alot hardier than the two Pennyworts, and takes atleast two aps in succession two kill, as it spreads by stems and rhyzomes. You can probably look on Weedalert or one of these other sites and see this is true. I can see where they can be easily confused, though. They are very similar in appearance (dollarweed type and ground ivy), as are several other types of weeds. I hope this helps.

9. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

With the last pic it looks like Creeping Charlie. A licensed applicator should have no problem controlling this weed.

10. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I can see in that picture that is ground ivy or creeping charlie. A very hardy weed that is tough to control. Creeping charlie has a strong odor to it also. Last year we treated a lawn that was being invaded by it. We treated it twice with Power Zone and got really good results.